Discovery Fuel Consumption

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking here for a few weeks and have just bought my better half a '98 Tdi. She just kept on moaning about getting Horse and Sheep feed into her Mini! (Can't think why)

Now I fully understand that you don't buy a "Disco" for fuel economy (That's why I kept away from all those reasonably priced V8's) but I am curious to know what other people in the group get as mpg on normal pottering about - ie not long runs.

Can't wait to see what she gets when she tows the horsebox!

With best regards, Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor Sidley

In my old 300tdi i used to get about 400 miles to £67 - what that is in MPG i dont know - never worked it out but it does not seem good!

MC.

---------

Reply to
Mark C.

My Td5 Disco has averaged 28.5 MPG over the last 50K miles. That's about

530 miles for a UKP 63 fill up if you prefer. 400 miles for UKP 67 seems jolly thirsty given that the 300 and 200 series motors are normally considered have better consumption figures than the Td5. I would have thought that 32 MPG for a 300 series and 35 MPG for a 200 were achievable.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Manuel

between 23-28mpg . depends a lot on tyre sizes though if youve changed them to a different pattern from original.

mine first had 235/75x16 BFG s and did 27mpg , then changed to 7.50x16 mudtracks and get 25mpg due to slightly larger tyre diameters

say for instance you had 205x16 on there and then the MPG may well be 28mpg+ .

best way to check for fuel MPG is to fill tank and then use a GPS to measure distance travelled between next fill up to check how much fuel used .

Reply to
M0bcg

Hang on a mo - let me get my head round this... If you've put on BIGGER tyres and the speedo hasn't been altered, then the miles recorded on the speedo will be longer than true miles ('cos it's really recording wheel revolutions in a round about way), so how do you know WHAT your fuel consumption is is you are relying on the speedo to measure distance ? If your tyre diameter has increased by (say) 5% then each mile counted on the speedo is really 105% of a real mile

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Hihi,

Indeed, works out at ~21 mpg.

Reply to
LCDMan

Hi Trevor,

You're absolutely right. I'm getting about one litre per power pole! .. bad

Regards Pauly

Reply to
Pauly

On or around Tue, 2 Mar 2004 01:00:16 +0000 (UTC), LCDMan enlightened us thusly:

I've tortured ours into returning figures like that, by for example going flat out up the M6 into a gale at about 85.

but normally, ours on pottering does about 28-30, on a steady smooth run with no stops you get a bit more.

much under 28 driven tidily I'd be looking for why.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around 01 Mar 2004 22:45:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (M0bcg) enlightened us thusly:

7.50 are considerably oversize, and you'll have made the speedo read considerably wrong. you'll need to adjust yer mileage reading accordingly. 235/70 or 205 are standard sections, both give around 29" nominal diameter, while 7.50R16 are nominally 31". So you need to add 2/29 or about 7%. your speedo will be under-reading by 7 miles in 100, in other words, roughly.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

We have a SII 7 seater Disco and get about 14 litres per 100km in the city, about 12 litres per 100km on freeway and 16-18 litres per 100km off road. I've got used to hearing this in Australia now and have no idea what that is in mpg, but it seems about right compared with cars of comparable size. I rationalise this by thinking that if it's fuel economy we're after we'll get a micro car. Anyway, we pay about 85c a litre for fuel.

Reply to
Viviane

"Trevor Sidley" wrote on Mon, 01 Mar 2004

18:50:03 GMT:

In my 200tdi, I got 40mpg on 300+ mile trip, but to and from work I average at 35mpg

Reply to
Abaddon

On or around Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:09:37 +0000 (UTC), Abaddon enlightened us thusly:

now that's what I call careful driving.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Wonder what it would return if I where to drive it! lol me and my

21mpg! lol

i went from london to blackpool and back in a day and it was ~500 miles and that was a complete tankfull used and i was sitting about 70-75 all the way! - to me thats TERRIBLE! my 2.0 focus was alot better than that.

MC.

--------

Reply to
Mark C.

ADDITION TO LAST POST , This must make a difference to the fuel economy so i thought i would mention that my 300 was very fast as a TDi goes, it would do 110mph on a nice downhill stretch and was good around town too when the turbo was spinning.

245/70/16 incase youre wondering too! :)

MC.

---------

Reply to
Mark C.

On or around Wed, 3 Mar 2004 00:19:55 -0000, "Mark C." enlightened us thusly:

500 miles on 20 gallons, you're talking about 25 mpg. not completely silly. but it might be that yours has been turned up a bit. does it smoke? is it marginal at passing the smoke test?
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hihi,

With those figures its a V8 right ? :-)

City ~ 20 mpg Freeway ~ 24 mpg Off-road ~ 17mpg

Lets see then (tap tap tap), 1 Aus dollar = ~42p.

At 36 p/l I see where your coming from :-)

Reply to
LCDMan

Clean as a whistle surprisingly Austin!

MC.

--------

Reply to
Mark C.

On or around Wed, 3 Mar 2004 20:41:13 -0000, "Mark C." enlightened us thusly:

must just be lead-right-foot syndrome then :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yep - V8, 4.0L.

Reply to
Viviane

Dont pay too much attention to the speedo, mine is about 6 mph out at 90 acording to the GPS. As for mpg I get 24 no mater what type of driving, (not tried it off road though). It's a 300 TDi ES Auto with all the toys and drive by wire which I'm told aacounts for an extra few BHP.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Seddon