discovery hood stickers

I've got a discovery with the "LAND ROVER" stickers on the hood which I'd like to remove. I'm wondering if anyone has found a good way to pull those off easily and can give me any advice. I'd also be interested if you haven't done it and you just have some wild speculation on a good way to do it.

In case it matters, It's a 96 black discovery, so I'm thinking that the paint under the stickers is a little different that what's been out in the sun for 7 years. I'd like to avoid painting my hood (and the rest of the vehicle), so if it seems like I can't do this without trashing the paint I won't do it.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!

-pb

Reply to
Po Boy

It's dead easy ... just get a hair dryer and play it over the lettering. Wheh they get hot you can peel them off. This is not wild speculation - I've done it on my S1 V8 and replaced the decal with one from a S2 - much nicer :-) I plan to replace the rear door decals too in a couple of weeks.

Mine is a 96 model too in Oxford Blue and after removing the old decal I applied a couple of coates of wax polish and this removed any visible difference in the paint colouring.

Regards

Steve G (remove the nospam to email me)

Reply to
Steve G

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Now I just have to find a hairdryer. And just when I thought my toolbox was starting to get rather complete...

-pb

Reply to
Po Boy

Does anyone know a quick and easy way to get rid of the Land Rover door stickers. The hair dryer method is soooo slooooow and I'm lazy. I tried a wallpaper stripper on one but got about the same amount of paint off as sticker.

Thanks

Damian

Reply to
My90

Use a more powerfull hairdryer.

Reply to
Nikki

||| || Use a more powerfull hairdryer. || -- || Nikki ||

Or a hot-air gun as in paint-stripping. That'll get everything off, including the paint. Or you could be patient and keep on with the hairdryer - it will work eventually.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I tried the hot, soapy water someone else recommended, but it didn't work too well. I even tried almost boiling water and an orange-based degreaser stuff. It worked a bit, but was really slow.

I used the hairdryer after that and it was much quicker. I could pretty much rub the stickers a bit to get them started and then peel lots of sticker off at a time. The you have to get the stickers pretty hot before they'll start peeling off, almost so hot that my fingers were burning.

I waxed my car after that and the spots where the letters were are less noticable now. Maybe a coule more washes and waxes and it will be unnoticable to the unknowing eye.

Thanks for the help.

-pb

Reply to
Po Boy

Po Boy Hi,

soapy water works very well when you want to apply large stickers and do not want air bubbles to remain trapped inside them.

Best solution for stickers' removal is the hair dryer method as you have already found out.

Hot water on a towel applied over the sticker will also work for stickers' removal provided that the water is hot enough.

Take care Pantelis

P.S. most probably the spots from where the sticker letters were applied will show again after the wax will go off. Just re-apply wax and after several application you may be able to make it mix with the surrounding colour shade.

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos