Discovery II heater isn't!

Help please! I've just been out to pick up a relative and drop them at home. The heater didn't warm up at all, not one degree! Yesterday it worked fine (and has done so from day one) and I didn't alter any settings this evening - it's winter and full warm is the standard setting. The vehicle was nicely up to temperature - temp gauge half way up the scale where it always sits once it's warmed up - but I couldn't get any hot air out of the vents. Both temp. regulators are at full hot and I tried cycling them both with zero result. Does anyone have any idea why it should just suddenly stop pushing out warm air, and if so, where should I look to remedy the problem?

Thanks folks, Steve Discovery II TD5

Reply to
Steve

It's probabably a Granny->Suck->Eggs thing - but the first thing that stops the heater heating is lack of water, with enough left to keep the engine at the right temperature.

Asuming that's ok, does the thermostat seem ok?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thanks Richard, I'm quite happy to suck on eggs as it's usually the most obvious and simplest that gets overlooked! The thermostat seems fine - regulates the engine temperature properly, if that's what you mean. The water level I'll need to check at first light as, unbe-feckin-lievably, the emergency torch (you know: power cut, need torch) has been childrened. Sods. I expect you're right though and I'll find the water level has dropped. The question then will be: why and where from.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Steve uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I thought that was just in our house :-)

Hope it's something simple like a weaping hose or clip that need a tweak.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

Doesn't happen here they have their own emergency torches (if they can find 'em) and a strict battery ration to prevent reading under the bed clothes. If their emergency torch has flat batteries when really needed that's their problem...

What Steve needs is a "Forever Flashlight", no conventional battery just shake to charge a capacitor that powers an LED. Almost 100% garanteed to work, not the best torch in the world but an awful lot better than nothing.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Me too, anything else gets expensive in a very quick way!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I had a wind-up "everlasting torch" but after a while it was all wind and no up, so it got binned. It probably got childrened too - they liked the noise it made while being wound.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

"wind-up" as in clockwork or wind-up as in dynamo charging batteries. I think Trevor Bayliss did produce a clockwork torch.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We've gpt a wind-up LED torch - an absolute god send..... when I can find it.....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Don't wish to worry you but mine done exactly the same. The temperature gauge was showing mid way as normal but then when I got onto the motorway it went right up. Turned out to be the head gasket gone. =A3600 worse off now but at least I've got warm air!!!

Gary

Reply to
Ga

Problem - hopefully - solved. Yes, the water level had dropped. Cause: It was a leaking hose to the heater. Now sorted and the system topped back up and all is warm again in the cockpit. Just as well the pick-up/drop-off last night was a nice short trip and nothing overheated.

It pays to suck eggs sometimes. :-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Wind-up as in dynamo charging batteries. Wind for a minute, light for thirty ... according to the blurb that was with it. In reality it was wind for a minute, glimmer for about ten if I was lucky. It was heftily more expensive than a pack of AA size rechargeables too.

I've never had any success with these low-energy light bulb things either.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Or fit non-maintained(*) emergency lights at key points like top fo stairs and near consumer unit.

(*) I know sounds like a contradiction but what it means is that the light isn't maintained (on) all the time, irespective of the prescense of mains electricity.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice