discovery II - which winter tyres ?

so Reinhard Swietli was, like...

If the snow is going to be well packed, why not the BFG ATs? Or perhaps a full Mud Terrain if you're expecting soft stuff.

And your English is fine.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I've been looking at tread patterns and the differences between mud and snow tyres. Mud tyres have big chunky blocks, snow tyres have lots of sipes(*) along with smaller blocks. As I understand it the grip from snow tyres comes from the edges of the sipes and blocks, the more edges, the more grip.

Then of course there is the rubber compound, winter tyres remain softer at lower temperatures (below 7C) than summer or "all season" tyres. Again this allows better contact between the tyre and surface, thus more grip. As mud will be frozen at low temperatures I don't think you'll find a "winter" mud tyre as such.

If I had the money I'd be buying true winter tyres now and then another set of "summer" ones spring next year. As I don't I'm looking at a compromise and Pirelli Scorpion S/T seem to have a decent block pattern and plenty of sipes when compared against other "all season" tyres from the likes of Michelin, Goodyear etc. I've not really looked at winter tyres but I'd add the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow to the OPs list.

Agreed, far far better than my German.

(*) Sipes the narrow cuts into the faces of the blocks.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I read one of the many 'special features' on tyres in LR owner or LR Monthly. It was about choosing the right tyre for driving on specific surfaces. The feature said, for snow you can't beat M+S tyres, but mud terrains come a close second. If I could afford it, I would choose M+S tyres, because along with snow on roads you inevitably come across ice and wet tarmac. Mud terrains are not so much use on wet tarmac and ice.

Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

Depends on the sort of snow...

Narrow tyres that cut down through to the road are best if its shallow and soft, for example.

Reply to
'T'

That reminded me of British Rail having problems with the wrong kind of snow in the olden days! They managed to find new excuses all the time.

Reply to
Viviane

I have been using BFG Commercial Traction T/A ever since they were around. on my '98 Disco ES TDi Auto.

Just found a good pic.

has links to a great review on AJ's Tyres site. Were claimed as more of a 50/50 road/off road bias, but Ihave found them to be superb both on & off road even though they have done about 95 percent of use on tarmac and many thousands of 80 mph motoway bashes.

Had them on for the last 4 years now and wouldn't go to anything else. Don't be worried that they are narrower, it makes no noticeable difference. Though ALB has been usefull when all 4 tyres were brand new !

HTH Pete

Reply to
PeTe33

Hi, i am going to buy winter tyres for my 2000 Discovery Series II, and i am looking for the Michelin 4x4 Alpine, Wrangler Ultra Grip or the Continental 4x4 Wintercontact, Dimension is 255 65 16 . The usage is primary on road.

Any hints about which one to choose ?

Thank you in advance for any help

Reinhard

PS : sorry about my english, but i am from austria so my native language is german

Reply to
Reinhard Swietli

Hi, thank you all for tipps and help. I think, i will choose pure M+S winter tyres, but still not sure, which manufacter. Safe driving Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Swietli