Discovery manual gearbox oil

I've just added an old Series 1 Discovery to the fleet. It's the 200Tdi with the 5 speed manual LT77 gearbox. The workshop manual is telling me to fill it with ATF or TQF, that's automatic oil isn't it? is this correct? I note that the rest of the transmission uses EP90.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Julian

ATF used to be recommended, but has been superseded by MTF94 according to LR, even on older gearboxes.

To quote Difflock.com...

"If you are still using ATF in your LT77 or R380 5 speed manual box then you should think again because it is NO LONGER recommended for such boxes. In manual transmissions, ATF is poor at preventing wear, shears down under the action of the gears and thickens as temperatures drop. This leads to shorter gearbox life and poor, notchy gearchanges, especially 2nd Gear on cold mornings.

A fully synthetic gear oil can solve these problems but it must be specially formulated to give the best possible results. Our EVOLUTION 1 is specially created for Land Rover Transmissions. It has the perfect viscosity required (5W20) and its high film strength prevents metal to metal wear whilst reducing gear and bearing noise (API GL4 performance) ."

Reply to
ChavScum

Thanks very much, I'll get some of that oil. Does anyone know why an automatic gearbox oil was specified for a manual gearbox in the first instance, and could I just use EP90 like the rest of the transmission?

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

On or around Tue, 13 Jun 2006 08:10:58 GMT, "Julian" enlightened us thusly:

nah, too thick. fully-synth SAE75 gear oil works OK but can make it stiff to change gear in cold weather when it's cold.

but Difflock's stuff sounds good, and is a better viscosity.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Oil is pumped through the mainshaft to the input shaft bearing and thick oil won't make it! ATF is like Heineken, it reaches the parts other oils cannot reach. :-)

Martin.

Reply to
Oily

As posted ATF is no longer regarded to be good enough by some however ATF still appears on the land rover website as a recommended oil for manual boxes up to 1998 ( presumably after input shafts were drilled to promote better lubrication )?

then again see
alternatively there is now a synthetic MTF oil availablerecommended for the post 1993 (tdi300) which are prone to the input shaftwear. For now I'm sticking with ATF mainly as I have a stock left after the next change probably synthetic- actually the main box is the only oil I still have to change on her major service not counting the brake fluid I'm going to use when I change the burst pipe tomorrow. Derek TDi200 Disco

Reply to
Derek

And it's about the same viscosity.....

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

On or around Tue, 13 Jun 2006 21:22:13 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

nah, that's in the transfer box which runs on EP80/90 anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The transfer box runs happily on any oil you like. It is amazing how much more drag EP90 is responsible for compared to 10w/30 engine oil, which is equally suitable for the transfer box.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The only reason to run a heavier gearbox oil is if you were towing and/or heavy slogging through the moors. My preference is Mobil 1 Synthetic throughout my Disco 1. I've noticed that the engine runs cooler with Mobil 1 than with a straight petrol-based engine oil. I would suspect the same holds true for the lube oil as well.

--=20 JEFFREY S AUSTIN CHESAPEAKE VA

=E2=80=9CI fight what you fear, The Red Devil=E2=80=9D

Reply to
Jeffrey S Austin