Discovery Mk1 300TDI Window Prob.

2-door LHD LHS Front electric window has stopped working and remains shut.Took door panel off and found 2-pin plug which appears to be entering the mechanism,disconnected it and put a voltmeter on and rocked the window switch-hardly any swing i.e. much less than a volt-should it be around 12v or is it just some sort of sensing signal?I suppose I should compare it against the other window but if someone knows this info. and can suggest a few quick checks,then I can save the disassembly until I know where I'm looking.TIA.1995 MANUAL 2-DOOR 2.5TDI
Reply to
the hamiltons

In message , the hamiltons writes

Try using one of the other switches to eliminate the switch

Reply to
Marc Draper

Reply to
the hamiltons

On or around Thu, 5 Jan 2006 18:51:57 +0100, "the hamiltons" enlightened us thusly:

well, now. If it was a 4-door, and the rear windows not working, I'd tell you "window lift control unit". It might still be so...

it hides behind the glove box and is a bastard to get in or out - the 4-door problem and solution is described here:

so might be worth a look.

hmmm. dunno if the front windows are run from an ECU...

bugger. I *was* going to paste some info from the RAVE, but the sods have encoded it so you can't cut and paste.

hangon, I'll print the page and OCR it - they haven't thought of that :-) I do like getting the better of the copy-protection types.

CIRCUIT OPERATION Voltage for window lift and sunroof operation is provided to the Window Lift ECU _ (Z147) from fuses F1 and F2. The Window Lift ECU is grounded through the B wire at ground E201.

Timeout Feature Fuse F15 applies voltage to the Window Lift ECU terminal 3 when the ignition switch is on. When the ignition switch is turned off, the absence of voltage at terminal 3 signals the Window Lift ECU to start the timeout feature. When the timeout feature is activated, the Window Lift ECU will allow window and sunroof operation for an additional 45 seconds. The timeout feature will be cancelled if the driver's door is opened and then closed. The Window Lift ECU monitors the door's position at terminal 9. Front Window Operation When a Front Window Switch is operated, the switch grounds one of four Window Lift ECU input terminals. This signals the Window Lift ECU to apply voltage and ground to the respective window motor. If the front window switch is held in the down position for more than 1/2 second, the express down feature is activated. The Window Lift ECU will operate the window motor until it is completely lowered.

Rear Window The Window Lift ECU terminal 4 supplies voltage to the Rear Window Console and door switches for rear window operation. When a window console switch is in the 'DOWN' position, voltage is applied to the window motor through the 'up' switch contacts. The window motors operate because they are grounded through the 'down' contacts of the window console switch. When a switch is in the 'UP' position, the polarity applied to the window motor is reversed, causing the motor to run in the opposite direction and the window to close.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"the hamiltons" ha scritto nel messaggio news:43bcfd46$0

Had same problem last year, ended up mine was just a mechanical stiff.

Unmounted the motor, moved the glass (be carefur not to drop it, have someone helping u), lubricated here and there, reassembled, works fine.

I'm unsure there is any sensor, the glass "automatic descent" is timed by the motor itself. Ie with the motor disassembled and kept in yr hands, you push the "window down" key, then the motor runs for a while then it stops.

Ciao VA

Reply to
Vincenzoni Attilio, Esq.

Hi,

Had my window regulator mechanism snap. While waiting for fix, found that motor ran for a long time if I pressed the button. So I suspect that if the mechanism was stiff, the motor would stop automatically, rather than being on a timer.

Cheers! Graham Carter

Reply to
Graham Carter

"Graham Carter" ha scritto nel messaggio

And did it eventually stop? 'cause mine, dismounted and unloaded, ran those

10 secs or so it takes to fully lower the glass, and then it stopped by itself.

Seems logical. Otherwise, the two safety mechanisms could coexist, either. Are they hardwired inside the glass motor itself?

ciao VA

Reply to
Vincenzoni Attilio, Esq.