Discovery oil leaks

I only bought my Disco last year. Quite pleased to get back to LR ownership. I had a 72 Range Rover V8 a few years ago. Beat hell out of it on Salisbury plain on Sunday and still drove it to work on Monday.

Owned a Shogun before the Disco which was reliable but parts pricey and the chassis rotted quicker than a fallen apple.

Now, I need help here because I'm thinking of going back to the Jap stuff. Disco ownership is not good. I got a 94 300 TDI and it's given me nothing but grief. My latest nightmare is an Oil leak that makes the Exon Valdez look environmentally friendly. I can see it bubbling out from behind the timing case cover where it meets the block on the nearside at the bottom. It runs along the sump and down all over the transmission and splatters on the front pipe. So, is this the gasket? Or something more sinister? I replaced the front crankshaft oil seal but I'm told there is another that is behind the timing cover. True? I've also replaced the RTV sealant on the sump thinking that to be the problem.

Anybody had this before? All help gratefully received.

Thanks K

Reply to
Dstl Web Team

Did you replace the REAR main seal too? Sounds like that could be the trouble.

Reply to
Jack Kerouac

Well this is it. LR information is that their is indeed another crankshaft seal accessible by removing the entire timing housing.

Haynes however say remove:- The front cover. The crankshaft timing belt cog. Prise out the old seal. Replace the O ring at the same time.

And that's it. No mention of a second seal. If you go to most parts sites they only list one crankshaft oil seal for the front.

Reply to
Dstl Web Team

EPC for 300tdi shows 2 seals.

Front seal is ERR4576. Rear seal is ERR4575

HTH, Gromit

Reply to
Gromit