Discovery Td5 Coolant Loss

Hi My 2002 Td5 Discovery has been loosing small amounts of water from the cooling system (about 1 pt every 3 months) for the last 6-8 months. There's no sign of any leaks - I understand this could be a cylinder head gasket problem?

Is this expesive - or should I PX for somthing else?

Ian

Reply to
ian

Double check the radiator first, it leaks at the top & the coolant dries up. There will be stains etc.

Reply to
Nige

Get it tested by a garage with a sniffer.. Check all hose connections.. It's probably a weep. If it weeps near the engine it's evaporate before it gets chance to leave a stain or damp mark. You could also bung some radweld in to see if that helps. It's a soloution that goes in the water then solidifies if it gets into the air thus bunging up your weap / leak. Bit like the old egg trick.. though I'm not convinved the egg trick ever worked for anyone but would be poached PDQ.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:12:22 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

I know someone who tried it on a taxi and ended up with an omellette on the side of the engine.

Personally, I've found Barrs Leaks better than radweld. Hmmm. Must bung some in the Rangie, that has a similar very slow coolant loss.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Same issue with mine. Its a 2001 with 135k miles. I'll try the leak stuff. Let me know if you identify the cause

Reply to
madhatchetman

I had the same on mine, it was the radiator, check it very craefully & you should easy find the leak.

Reply to
Nige