discovery ticking noise

I have a 1994 300 tdi with a strange ticking noise

The noise only happens above 2500 revs and only when the engine is under load such as accelerating, hill climbing etc.

I have replaced the front pipe and manifold gasket. Removed the exhaust manifold to check for leaks.

I noticed there seems to be oil leaking from the oil filter housing area. Is it possible that some oil pressure valve is defective and leaking here? It was certainly way overfilled with oil when I bought it.

Thanks K

Reply to
Dstl Web Team

In article , Dstl Web Team writes

It could be the head gasket blowing out of the back of the block sounds just like the manifold gasket has gone.

Listen using a bit of tube around that area and follow the noise. I have had customers do thousands of miles with it making a noise like that. Would be a good idea to have the head skimmed when you change the gasket just to make sure. Not the end of the world.

The brake vacuum pump can start to fail and that gives a very load ticking noise. as you look from the drivers (RHD) side and look at the engine it is just to the rear of the oil filter. Black in colour with WABCO on a small plate. it can also leak oil once it gets to this state. The only cure is to replace it. fiddley but only a five min job.

Don't get one from Landrover as the are stupidly expensive. they are only made by WABCO so the cheep parts places won't sell you an inferior make. Still a few quid though !

So make sure it is that that is your problem. But if it is leaking oil that is a good reason for changing it, as they have a habit of suddenly pumping all your oil out of the side of the block.

Hope this helps

Reply to
marc

Marc

Thanks for this. The cylinder head was replaced a year ago under warranty so I'd like to avoid another dismantling visit to that side of things.

The info about the brake vacuum pump is interesting though. One other thing. IT only makes the noise when normal running temperature or close to it is reached. This is what made me think exhaust components. Do you still think it could be the brake vacuum pump? If it is fed by oil then would it tick as oil temperature increased?

In engine runs very well with loads of power.

Thanks

Reply to
Dstl Web Team

The pump on my 110 makes a ticking noise. I tried listening around with a tube but couldn't quite pin the noise down. Next I tried with a pole from a windbreak and rested it on various parts of the engine trying to listen for the noise. When I put it on the vacuum pump I didn't even need to put the pole to my ear, it was as if the pole itself was making the noise!!

Reply to
Simon Barr

On or around 2 Sep 2004 14:28:28 GMT, Simon Barr enlightened us thusly:

fecking things. assuming you're on about a 300-type one. about 100 notes for a new one, depending where you shop. LR garage in Ipswich wanted about

350 to supply and fit, and I fail to see how even the most lazy mechanic could take more than half an hour start-to-finish to change it. took me about 10 minutes I think.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yup, 300Tdi one. The local parts place reckons most people he sees put up with the noise 'til it gets so bad it sends them round the bend, then they replace it.

Mines not that bad yet...

Reply to
Simon Barr

On or around 3 Sep 2004 08:00:33 GMT, Simon Barr enlightened us thusly:

beware, it'll eventually stop pumping. That's what happened to ours. disco takes a hefty right foot to stop without a servo.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hmm. I imagine that the 110 would take a hefty push on the pedal too. From what the local guy said I was under the impression they just got unbearably noisy, not that they packed up completely.

Think I'll look into a replacement soon...

Reply to
Simon Barr

Thing is, would it be the vacuum pump if the ticking noise is only heard when.

1 Normal temperture has been reached 2 Between 2100 and 2600 revs only. 3 Only when the engine is under load. Accelerating.Hill climbing.

Thanks

Reply to
Dstl Web Team

I'd have though not. Mine seems to make a noise all the time, hot or cold.

Try using a short broomstick or similar and rest it on parts of the engine with someone...

Aah, scrap that, it's only under load isn't it? Could it be the exhaust or manifold blowing. When under full power I guess there would be more pressure so thats when it blows?

Reply to
Simon Barr

On or around 6 Sep 2004 12:06:04 GMT, Simon Barr enlightened us thusly:

I've been fooled by that in the past.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around 6 Sep 2004 11:02:06 GMT, Simon Barr enlightened us thusly:

ours didn't tick, or not that I was aware of. It leaked oil slightly and after a bit stopped pumping.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Gut feel says cracked exhaust manifold, or possibly a the head to manifold gasket starting to blow. Start it up, get it warm, and use a short length of plastic hose to listen for the leak.

Reply to
EMB

Thanks for your suggestions.

Replaced manifold to head gasket over a week ago Replaced front pipe and matching manifold gasket as flexible pipe suspected.

As I said, it's had a new cyl>On or around 6 Sep 2004 11:02:06 GMT, Simon Barr

Reply to
Dstl Web Team