Discovery whine

Help please. I've got a transmission whine that resonates in cab at 60 mph but when towing caravan is loud from 55 to 65. If anyone knows a cure other than earplugs I'd be grateful or is this a standard feature.

1995 V8 Discovery

John

Reply to
John Dillon

Help please. I've got a transmission whine that resonates in cab at 60 mph but when towing caravan is loud from 55 to 65. If anyone knows a cure other than earplugs I'd be grateful or is this a standard feature.

1995 V8 Discovery

John

Reply to
John Dillon

Bin the wife? :-)))))

Only joking !!

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

That's very interesting since when I'm towing with the a/c on in v hot weather the engine tends to get very hot. I've got one of these with the serpentine belt and the water pump pulley is very smooth (it's slipping). Thanks for the information. John

Reply to
John Dillon

Reply to
John Dillon

John Hi again,

Does overrun mean that you step on the clutch pedal and let the car just roll? (BTW is your car a manual or an autobox equipped one?) I think that if the serpentine belt tensioner bearing was shot you should be hearing it whine even on tickover or at least when you increase the engine's rpm even when the vehicle is stationary.

Could you please check this thing also?

If it is a serpentine belt tensioner bearing, DO NOT BUY the complete tensioner. You can remove the bearing and have this one replaced. You will need to drill two holes on the tensioner to remove the old worn out bearing but then you can repair the tensioner by a fraction of the cost of buying the complete assembly new.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

: > >

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
thesnowbaron

I seem to remember that when driving acrss Death Valley there is a big sign at the side of the road saying "Turn your air con off to prevent the engine overheating ;(

Reply to
Adrian England