Do I need to take the roof off.

I need to renew the side rails below the rear windows on a 110 Defender 12 seater. Can I replace these without removing the roof? It looks as if I could unbolt the side window units, remove the rear door & then remove and replace the side rails.

I also need to replace the front quarter panels between the front vent flap and the door hinge. Can you take the window section out without removing the roof?

Finally is it possible to replace the rear cross member without removing the body?

TIA John.

Reply to
john maundrell

You need to remove all the bolts holding the roof on from the "B" post rearwards and loosen off all the others forward of them. This will allow you enough of a lift on the rear of the roof to get the side panels out.

yes, but you need to totally unbolt the front half and loosen off most of the rear half to lift the front of the roof about 3/4" to allow you to remove the screen frame. Not so bad on removal, but a devil to get it to seal on reassembly without the clearance.

yes. keep all the body bolted together, bolt the crossmember to the body at the rear and correct positioning with a jack before welding. Fuel tank needs to come out, obviously.

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Reply to
john maundrell

As far as I remember, there's just the row of bolts along the top, the 2 top side bolts (pig to line up again on mine!) and the lower hinge/bracket bolts. There's nothing hidden behind the dash. Be prepared to find a lot of corrosion along the top edge of the bulkhead, by the way. Badger.

Reply to
Badger