Does anyone know of supplier of kit to mount spare wheel on bonnet of TD5 Defender?

There are probably all sorts of reasons why we 'shouldn't' but has anyone done it? Thanks for any info. Rik Cornwall

Reply to
rik

I would have thought the 'kit' for the Series LRs would be Ok. I paid £20ish for one last year, you only need drill 6 or 8 small holes, and 2 larger ones to fit it. Alan.

Reply to
A Lee

I didn't thing Td5 bonnets have the clearance between bonnet & engine for bracing to take a spare wheel carrer?

Having had a bonnet with spare wheel come down on me years ago I'm not so keen on the bloody things on there these days.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

On or around 31 Jul 2003 17:00:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comknujon (AN6530) enlightened us thusly:

the spare wheel fitting thing goes in between the bracing that's already on the bonnet, on mine.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:47:23 +0100, Marc Draper enlightened us thusly:

ah. not looked at the underside of one in any detail.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

90 & 110 bonnets are not braced and cannot take weight of the wheel. The top plastic cover on the engine is also very close and inhibits installing the required braces yourself.
Reply to
Aubrey

Now's your chance to make a killing although why anyone wants a bloody great wheel stuck on there beats me.

(Says someone who had a bonnet stay give way years ago allowing one bonnet and one wheel to forcibly introduce themselves to my back).

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

On or around 03 Aug 2003 10:01:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comknujon (AN6530) enlightened us thusly:

dunno about news ones, but the bonnet stay on mine is pretty solid. but I can understand why that might put you off.

reason why mine's there is that I don;t want it inside and it buggers up the rear door and hinges having it on the back. If you were of short stature, I can see where it might be difficult to see over it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 03 Aug 2003 21:44:06 +0100, Steve Nunn enlightened us thusly:

well, on mine, the actual re-inforcing is only about 1" or less deep. several ribs on the underside of the bonnet, and an approximately square hole in the middle, which is the same size as the plate of the rear-door wheel fitment. Not looked under a TD5 bonnet in that much detail though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles