Don't you just love old electrics?

Last time I used 'Jasmine' (just before Xmas) the windscreen wipers packed up for no apparent reason. Had a good look yesterday - fuse was blown. Checked for faults, couldn't find anything wrong, replaced fuse, worked fine. I just assumed the fuse had 'aged' (the old glass encased wire types can and do). I decide to turn the 90 around in my drive to work on the front. The fuse box cover was still off. As I put her into reverse I saw the fuse blow again. Turns out there was a short underneath on the wire from the gearbox reverse light switch to the light itself! Shared circuitry/fuse - nice

Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

In article , 90ninety writes

There's an argument for replacing wiring looms at regular intervals.

We had a 1990 VW Passat saloon, which was an exceptionally good car save one respect - the electrics. I never quite got over the £350 'irrepairable' airflow sensor (turned out on dismantling to have a clip-on carbon track pot inside!), but the killer was the wiring loom. After about 5 years it went brittle, and shorts/breaks were common. We had them in the doors, the boot lid and the central locking wiring. In each case they took ages to find and fix.

I've noticed the same stiffening in Marge's wiring, and she's about the same age. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet in the summer and rewire her too. At least the systems are less complex, so the loom ought to be easier to make. It's a right pain though.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

"SpamTrapSeeSig" schreef in bericht news:me8XqAJE2YJCFw+ snipped-for-privacy@tigger.muircom.demon.co.uk

Completely rewired my '82 Ruster quite some time ago now. It's well worth the effort.

Reply to
aghasee

Half the stuff on Jasmine didn't work when I bought her. The weakest link was the fuse box. Terrible corrosion/deposits on fuse holders. Cleaned them all and replaced any dodgy looking fuses, then everything worked and has done for years.

Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

Where did you buy your new loom, or was it had made? I'll carry on cutting out the bad and soldering in new bits until I find a replacement loom with a proper fuse box. A brand new SIII loom is just as likely to self ignite during a bit of careless fiddling or contact failure.

We've built an extra fuse box for stuff like radio, gps, CB and interior lights. It sits in the dash shelf with lots of fuses and screw terminals inside. Suppose I could build another for all the electrics, but don't have time. Can a similar new box and wire kit be purchased?

Failing that, has somebody drawn up their own wiring system with fuses and proper components.

David

Reply to
DavidM

I've not bought a Landrover loom from them, but I've always found Autosparks (Sandiacre, Nottingham, 10 mins off M1 J25)

have been exceptionally good to deal with. They list all variants of Land Rovers, but will also modify them exactly as you require.

The last 2A I owned had been rewired by the previous owner, but instead of crimping or soldering all the correct terminals, he'd left a few inches of the old wiring dangling from every switch and piece of equipment, and joined them to the new loom with chocolate blocks. Bad.

Reply to
Autolycus

"DavidM" schreef in bericht news:d0468m$4e$ snipped-for-privacy@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk

Made it myself, to my own custom specs; split charge, all mud/moisture sensitive components high inside the vehicle, simplified a lot... got rid of all the multi-contact switches on the steering column with exception of the turn signal lever. Push button starter, separate switches for ignition, fuel, lights, etc.

I found out the original loom in my Ruster was given the same treatment. :-)

Aren't all Lucas parts prone to self ignite?

Don't know. Probably not.

I have the factory schematics for the RangeRovers from 1978...?

Reply to
aghasee

Are they the same as in the service manuals? Have you any recommendations for where to buy lots of good wire in different colours? Autosparks sound like an a.f.l favourite.

Cheers David

-- ------- # | | :===[==¬|====; [/ \|___|_/ \| \_/ \_/ DavidM djm81NOSPAMatcam.ac.uk

Reply to
DavidM

Just found a replacement wiring set for american cars. You get the fuse box, looms and connectors for $279. Looks like good value. Anybody seen anything like it for sale in the UK?

DavidM

"DavidM" schreef in bericht news:d04qgn$gp1$ snipped-for-privacy@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk

They're part of the original 1978 RR service manual I have.

You don't need *lots* of wire, and not that much colours. If you buy like, five different colours, 100 metres each, 2.5 square mm gauge supple tinned wire, it'll get the job done. You'll need to build a little system into it of course.

Don't know, I'm an independent electrician from Belgium, I buy my wires from Alcatel and cables from Draka. :-)

Reply to
aghasee

On or around Thu, 3 Mar 2005 08:31:05 +0100, "aghasee" enlightened us thusly:

depends if you want to actually remake a standard loom, or just make something thet works, really.

You can do it like they do on other things, all same colour wire (or possible 2 or 3 colours for different thickness wires (different loads) and use labels on the wires at the ends.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Austin Shackles writes

And you can either use coloured slip-on numbers (from RS components etc.), or coloured Hellermann sleeves to code the wire ends, or even sliced-up coloured heat-shrink (prob' best, but expensive). Hellermann sleeves perish if used in very hot places (IIRC, they're rubber), but other than actually on the engine they're probably fine, and will go over Lucar connectors that are already fitted.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig