Door pillar repair panels S2 vs S3 (captive nuts)?

I've been told there's a difference between the Sii and Siii door pillar repair panels, something about a 'captive nut' for the door hinges. I've also been told you can't get the Sii repair panels anymore, is this correct?

On a more basic question, what exactly is a captive nut, and how would this impact iia door hinges?

Reply to
John Halliwell

Can't help on this.

The bolts that hold the door hinges on go into a "nut" that is attached to the bulkhead. As far as I remember, this is a strip of steel with threaded holes for each bolt in a hinge, which is held loosely (to allow adjustment) in a tin box behind the boltholes in the bulkhead pillar. I have had both S2a and S3 apart late last year (robbing doors off the S3 for my S2) and did not notice any difference, but these were both original bulkheads not repaired. JD

Reply to
JD

You can put door hinges on without the captive nuts if you really need to. My 2A didnt have any :(. I used a small spanner on a bit of string, and plenty of blue tack to hold the nut in place while i put the bolt through from the outside. I dont plan on taking my hinges off again!

Reply to
Tom Woods