Dr Who

anyone been watching it?

last-of-series earlier tonight, just watched it on tape. 'kin amazing.

mind you, I think we should all email the producers and say "IT'S A LAND ROVER!!"

(that's not a spoiler, if you've not seen it.) Rapier missile tug, I think it was...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yep my thoughts exactament ...Er am I bovvered? rofl I had just commented to Vicky its not a jeep that's the motor we want for a project rag top late series yummy- strange after motoring all those miles nobody had a stiff back or was that why she had a tear in her eye .Wonder what they did with it afterwards? Derek

Reply to
Derek

Aint seen tonights yet, but it is very good!! You're similar in age to me so you must remember the old stuff??

I used to love John Pertwee & Tom Baker.

I have loads still to watch this season, but i find it very watchable for us 'old kids' !!!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

yep

damn right - picked that up in a jiff - even #1 son noticed :)

Reply to
William Tasso

No, Patrick Troughton was the best. He played it a bit dark and mysterious.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I may well have been alive (maybe?) but i cannot remember it! He was the second one i seem to remember?

Nige

Reply to
Nige

He also played the Vicar that had the church spire spike fall right through him and pin him to the ground in "The Omen" if that helps. He actually died whilst attending a Dr Who conference in the States many years ago.

I must admit to not seeing any of the new ones, not wishing to spoil my memories of the originals as most remakes are tarted up and dumbed down, perhaps I'll get them on DVD seeing as you all reckon they are good.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I was a big fan of the original series, and Patrick Troughton was my favourite too. I started watching the new series but although the special effects were pretty good the whole thing just didn't cut it for me and I stopped watching after 2 or 3 episodes. I reckon it was better left in the

60s, with an old Doctor, a young and pretty airhead assistant and crap FX - at least it was new and original then. The modern version seemed to be trying too hard to be trendy for my tastes.

So I missed the Land Rover reference, whatever it was.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

They are very good indeed, i like the first series more than this last one.

Reply to
Nige

baah humbug ;)

Nige

Reply to
Nige

OK, so, for the benefit of those of us who don't get UK Tv, what happened? Did someone call a Landrover a *shudder* Jeep?

My Ancient Mother advises me that I hid behind the sofa when I saw the Daleks on London Bridge. I refute this completely.

Reply to
Peter A

You're not alone, my sister & I watched from behind the sofa. And we agreed Troughton sucked, Jon Pertwee was the cutest by far. And had the best vehicle :)

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Rose says the line "... we got in to Dad's old jeep ..." as she is climbing in to a series soft top. As soon as I heard it I thought "ooh that'll cause a stir on a.f.l".

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Gibbs

Mind you, Series and Jeeps, they do look the same. And Billie *IS* from Swindon.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Gibbs

Ah, you had back-up then...

Funny, haven't thought about this for aeons... but I grew up in Ireland and back then, I was born in '57, we had those (Tardis) boxes dotted around the countryside... only they were AA boxes, not police. Every AA member had a key, and inside was an old black bakelite 'phone that you could call the AA on.. who, incidentally, tooled around in bike/sidecar combos and saluted your car if you had the AA badge on the front.

The boxes were kept immaculate so tended to look out of place anyway, but I tell you, post Dr W's arrival on the tv , I viewed them with

*grave* suspicion for a looong time... I would have gone catatonic if my father had ever had reason to open one, I reckon.

I knew that one of them wasn't an AA anything... and if he opened

*that* one by mistake, who knew what might happen? But which one was it? (Freshly painted ones were thought very dodgy).
Reply to
Peter A

||| My Ancient Mother advises me that I hid behind the sofa when I saw ||| the Daleks on London Bridge. I refute this completely. ||| || || You're not alone, my sister & I watched from behind the sofa.

There were a lot of us behind that sofa, then!

Makes you think, though. I found the Daleks genuinely frightening and had dreams about them. I can't see any of today's youngsters finding them anything but laughable. I also found The Exorcist (book and film) and Deliverance genuinely disturbing at around 20 years old. I imagine both of them are screened at 8-year-olds' birthday parties now, before the hard stuff. Younger people I have talked with seem to find them very tame and even funny. Good or bad thing? Dunno.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

In article , Karen Gallagher writes

I can't comment on Pertwee, but the car was called Bessie.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Don't forget he also had the "Who-mobile"

would need a brain transplant to attempt the maximum speed I fear. I am fond of Pertwee as the Doctor the only issues I have ( I make allowances for gravel pits and dodgy monsters ) is Violet Bott playing an assistant now that did make me squeem and be sick

Reply to
Derek

And did NOT salute if there was a speed cop lurking round the next bend ... you instantly knew something was wrong & slowed down :)

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Hmm, this story seems to be growing. When the film was released, the story was that the unscripted bit was the fake blood squirting over one of the actresses, who recoiled in genuine shock as she wasn't expecting to get hit by the blood but was expecting the puppet.

There were some deleted scenes on the special edition I bought, one of the captain of the ship (who was crawling through the tunnel and got scoffed by the alien) re-appearing later, encased in goo and begging to be killed.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings