Drilling holes

Hello all, I need to drill four 20mm holes into the rear bumper of the Disco to take some revising sensors ( don't laugh cos they are really handy, I had them fitted to my Laguna as standard and now think they are great) the problem is my drill has a chuck that only accepts around 10 -12mm bits.

I'd like to get them in the same time as the phone kit and the LED rear light upgrade ( Tomorrow if it's dry !)

any ideas ?

Reply to
StaffBull

Hire a drill from your local hire people?

Remember if your drill only has a 12mm chuck you can still use larger bits, as you can get larger bits which have a big drilling end and a smaller chuck end (they're stepped in the middle). That's how I drilled ?17mm fitting holes in my chassis rails for my rocksliding sills.

David

Reply to
David French

A hole saw from (say) B&Q. Something like this:

Individual saws are cheaper than this kit - usually :-)

Reply to
QrizB

Cheers, the holesaws look to be the option - just hope I can get a 20 mm on its own as I only paid that much for the sensors !

many thanks once again

Reply to
StaffBull

small holes around the crcumference and join them with a hacksaw. Tidy the edges with a half round file. regards

Reply to
Rudolph Hucker

I'd go with that if you can't get the size hole cutter you need, assuming the sensors come with bezels to tidy things up. Another was, use a compass or dividers to scribe a circle and drill out a series of small holes, allowing for the drilled holes making the circle larger than the scribed line. Should only take you all morning drilling god only knows how many small holes and filing them later :)

A piece of the wide gaffa tape stuck over the plastic bumper where you want to put the sensors might prevent drill bits slipping as well. Seen that happen, only took the blink of an eye to do it but repercussions took at least half an hour until there was nothing left to kick over or throw.

Reply to
wayne

JML do drill sets at your local cash and carry which have a bit that will drill sideways so to speak. so drill the largest hole you can then keep scooting around the circumference until you get to 20mm with the side cutter...top tool..excellent on plastics.

Whats more the sets are cheap as chips.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Yes, you can. This is the standard size for electrical conduit, so any electrical wholesaler should have them. Or alternatively, scrounge one from a friendly electrician!

Nigel Worsley

Reply to
Nigel Worsley

'arbour ?? ,,,,,,,,, its a landrover not a boat ;o)

Reply to
Smurf

They only cost about 6 quid including the arbor.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Denis F

Many thanks for the reply's I've got a holesaw from B & Q - so its wiring time tomorrow !! the reversing kit is going in along with the nokia car kit and LED bulbs in the rear upper cluster - whats the betting it wont go smoothly !! Built in car PC next ( in the centre console (mini ATX ?) and sat nav built into the PC. possibly upgrading to a reversing camera hooked up to the PC to look at the tow hitch ( no more guessing)

Reply to
StaffBull

On the Iceland trip, my Disco was pressed into service many nights as a

7-seater cinema, using a laptop, external USB hard drive and an inverter. Chucking-out time was usually when the kids flattened my battery.

Off the back of this, wouldn't it be great to have a 17" wide screen popup TV on the dash... fed by a laptop would probably be easiest.

I'm going to check my lottery ticket, and if I've won anything, I'll try it!

Reply to
David French

Something else which might have helped you is a stepped cone drill. I have one and it's a very useful piece of kit...

, forexample.

-- David

Reply to
David Lees

What exams is your discovery doing then?

Reply to
Exit

I have checked and there is room for a 10" - these can be bough for around £150 - getting it to "popup" would be the trickiest thing (reliably and profesiionaly that is) I have a 7" widescreen to fit behind the transfer box gearstick this will be for the PC in the centre console - a car PSU for an ATX does not come cheap though, I think it will be around £150 imported from the US !. I'm keeping the Disco for years hopefully so I have time to play

Cheers, Steve. Oh, another thing I am looking to do is to build an onboard compressor under the bonnet with snap off connectors so I can inflate the tyres off it if need be. (A bit better than the weak numbers from hafords)

Reply to
StaffBull

Reply to
StaffBull

Good idea, but if you can't be bothered, a Truck Air for about £65 will do nicely. Shame they don't do one with a 12v emergency starter battery built in. (I know you can get these but AFAIK the compressors aren't up to much.)

I feel a replacement EAS compressor for the Range Rover coming on, so if you want the dead one... :)

Talking of accessories, a friend of mine had a 110 on LPG where he'd also built in some under-wing fuel tanks. It was quite amusing when he went into a garage to pay for 4*, unleaded, diesel and LPG, all of which had gone into the same vehicle...

David

Reply to
David French

Reply to
StaffBull

It has a reservoir of about 20l or so. In theory, the pump compresses air to the reservoir, the reservoir feeds the springs, and the springs vent to the outside world, with various bits of valveage, solenoids and air dryer in between.

With mine, the compressor thumps around a lot and makes a lot of noise, but doesn't seem to actually compress much, and the reservoir seems to spending some of its time venting straight to the outside world without going through the tiresome spring part.

I'm awaiting the right adaptor for my newly fabricated pressure gauge so I can try to work out what it's doing.

I dare say if you found a scrapped LSE or P38 with an intact compressor, you could butcher the valve block, pressure switch and reservoir to make something up. But I fear you'd probably find it easier to buy something less complicated. Also, any scrapyard with a decent P38a compressor will probably prefer to sell it to some mug like me, given the damn things are so expensive from Land Rover.

I've always thought that an engine-driven compressor would be inherently better than an electric one a la the Range Rover.

David

Reply to
David French