Drivetrain questions?

Hello all, A few dumb questions, 1.a. Whats the difference beteween a Borg & Beck clutch and the Valeo Item. b. Is it true that the Borg & Beck Clutch is a more robust product?. c.When I changed my clutch, the old clutch had 'Valeo', and on another place 'remanufactered' writan on it its a stupid stupid question but does it mean what I think? Ok thats part one of the questions, part 2 refers to the fact that since we raised the Discovery 2" it has developed the habit of rumbling at low speeds and incresing wear in the UJ's(specifically the one on the front comeing out of the gearbox) 2.a. whats the difference between the "Hardy Spicer(GKN) UJ and the standard product, is it true that they are more robust? 2.b. Can I fit the double cardon designed prop shaft from a series

2 disco straight onto my series 1 200 tdi?. 2.c. Anybody got any suggestion regards fixing the problem i have with the UJ's self destructing every 12.000 kms?

thanks in advance

Fred

Reply to
Frederic Enaj

Hallo I have a Disco II deliv. Apr. 2003 after 2000 km the Valeo was bad. when Starting the 1.g. the care was rumbling. The dealer changed the valeo. The moving part of the clutch was to smal. The dealer changed again. the next valeo middlepart was dancing with the effect of problems fron

  1. to 2. gear.

Now I get the 4. Valeo. and it takes from 2000 km to 1200 km

That is my answer. Sorry about my bad English

Sigfried Eikemeier "Frederic Enaj" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Siegfried Eikemeier

One is made by Borg and Beck the other by Valeo.

It was originally a Valeo clutch when it wore out the clutch was relined and sold cheaply as a remanufactured item.

call these type of joints "hardy spicers" just like ball pens are called Biros , some are better than others , buy one with a grease nipple if possible.

the vehicle Uj's will only run reliably up to a certain angle ...... I note mention of a "rumbling noise " noise = wear.

steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

remanufactured means RELINED with new linings/pads , ie reconditioned unit , should be ok for many miles though .

make sure clutchmaster cylinder slack[freeplay] and pedal adjustment are correct .

hardy spicer is a manufacturer of joints etc , mostly it doesnt matter which you use . but try to use UJs with grease nipples fitted , so you can grease and lubricate them , or they will not last long at all .

youre wobbling may be due to the centre slip joint in the propshaft having too much play and becoming out of balance , not much you can do there except fit new propshaft . but if youve raised the vehicle by 2" then the props are running at an increased angle/length and the yokes/UJs may be binding when suspension is in a paerticular position and this is why you are wrecking UJs .

when suspension is extended does youre prop reach end of its extension length or does it become too short to extend anymore , if its too short then the force is put onto the UJs .

most landrover derived props are interchangeable if you can cut and weld them properly , but they are generally different lengths between models .

Reply to
M0bcg