Driving through some floods

Might be interesting to someone.

Roads were like that for a few miles around us, and about a mile away from us ... but we're on the same flood plain, just over the other side of a flood barrier. Made for some interesting journeys when the banks originally burst, at night, freezing cold so ice as well. First night I went through there was an '06 reg. Merc 200c stuck in the middle, up to the door tops .. we were close to having real trouble, I think! ;)

Videos were taken with a mobile phone camera so not great quality, and at some poiints we drive over what later we found out to be tyres, so it gets bounced around a little.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around 16 Feb 2008 08:28:18 GMT, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

how not to do it:

and another:

?v=AqhQJxGNojs

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Someone needs to chuck the chap doing the talking into the river!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:19:44 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

yes, I thought that, too.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

preferably with whatever BMW the chinless wonder is posing next to. Prejudiced moi? Derek

Reply to
Derek

It would be a real buzz to help someone out in floods like that. Paul -XXX's link not the c*ck in the river who rightly deserved some piss taking, but yeahs he does have a voice / attitude that gets on yer nerves.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sun, 17 Feb 2008 00:44:40 -0000, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

I think he's trying to be Jeremy Clarkson and failing rather spectacularly.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 02:28:18 -0600, Paul - xxx wrote (in article ):

Driving in a flooded road way is a $500 fine in Texas.

Reply to
Hud Dunlap

Heheheh, I'll have to remember that. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Just like sailing up the Norfolk rivers! Except my boat doesn't make such a big bow wave.....

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

On or around Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:17:46 -0600, Hud Dunlap enlightened us thusly:

spoilsports.

The thing that crossed my mind is "I hope he knows where the tarmac is under all that water".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

But do you get much rain?

A while back I was driving in Florida and was appaulled by the lack of spray control on the heavies. I'm olde enough to remember what it was like over here before they brought in the rules on spray control.

That and being pretty sure that the road was flat +/- 12" so you suddenly aren't into deeper water.

I guess he could be doing what I have to do when coming over the tops on fresh snow with no previous tyre tracks visible, in hill fog that means you can't see from snow pole to the next. If it's bumpy you are not on the road. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On that part of road it's easy, there are kerbs which are large enough that you can 'feel' but also the hedges are prominent and the line of the road is pretty much laid out in front of you. There's oinly two bends at the flooded area and they're smooth sweepers so no worries really.

Mind, the ditches are 4' deep at each side ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Last time I drove on a flooded road, it was surprisingly easy to see the road underneath, I just followed the white line. Mind you I knew the road well too so that will have helped me spot the line as I'd know roughly where it was anyway!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Not such an issue on country roads like that but the sneaky blown manhole cover is always one to watch and causes damage big time.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Ooh yes, forgot about that, there's a drain near me that floods regularly and blows the cover off a large square drain, that's caused a few problems.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Heheheh, hadn't thought of that ... ;)

Have to check the road next time I'm down that way, when it's dry!

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around 19 Feb 2008 14:58:02 GMT, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

Also, if the flood is thick brown water you can't see anything under the surface.

Reply to
Austin Shackles