DSH Hot starting solved.

Anyone who has a 2.5 DHSE might suffer from starting hassles when hot, winding the engine over for 5 or more seconds to start, no worries the prob has been solved.

I and one of our electronics guys have made a magic box, it consists of a relay and some other components, you take a feed from the ignition, this trips the relay for 30 seconds and tells the temp sensor the engine is cold, the glow plug lights come on and the vehicle starts, then the relay trips out and all is back to normal.

I have this fitted to my own 97 RR and its a complete success. All fitting instructions and connectors included, it is really very easy to fit.

£55 inc recorded delivery

Alan (Oxford area) if anyone wants to have a look

Reply to
Alan Crowder

Alan Crowder uttered summat worrerz funny about:

How wide spread is this problem? First I have heard of it.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Is running the glow plugs not just masking another problem?

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

IMO it's covering a general lack of compression.

Reply to
EMB

I think possibly you will find its the temp sensor in the top of the injection pump

Remove the 3 torx screws holding the top plate and underneath you should find a temp sensor held on with 2 screws. Replace sensor and it should be fine after that.

johnty

Reply to
johnty

The system simply fools the temp sensor into thinking its cold, the glow plugs come on and start the engine, then the temp sensor goes back to normal.

Around here many RR owners have claimed to have changed temp sensors, glow plugs and all manner of things to no avail, this gets around the hot starting problem.

Alan

Reply to
Big Al

My one has this problem ...dont suppose anyone knows the part no of the sensor ? my local LR agent just keeps saying its about £250 but i think thats for the wrong part ! must be able to get it from anlgo-german-sweddish if I knew what it was ....

Reply to
chris

There should be no hot starting problem.

Unless the engines are totally shot. I would want to find the cause of the problem.

I seem to remember the heater plug control relay causing the same problem.

Reply to
Marc Draper