Dyson - bloody hell! (Way OT)

1 Jan - 4-year-old Dyson upright cleaner goes kaput. Sounds terminal. Motor groaning and cutting out, bad smell everywhere. Phone Dyson customer support - closed as it's New Year's Day.

2 Jan - phone customer support again. Sarah listens to tale of woe, agrees Dyson is dead. Offers engineer callout - full service, includes any parts needed, 65 quid. "What if it needs a new motor?" I ask. "Included," she says. Books engineer for next available slot. Tomorrow afternoon.

3 Jan - engineer calls. Replaces motor, all filters, main hose (no damage or wear, but dirty, leaves old one as a spare), bottom hose (hasn't gone yet, Madam, but it will, leaves old one as a spare) and sole plate (looking a bit battered, Madam, leaves old one, etc.). Engineer pleasant, chatty and full of helpful advice, and doesn't even charge the full 65 notes.

For once, a transaction with a company that left the customer happy and with expectations not only met but exceeded by a wide margin. Very pleased - especially since I was getting ready to stump up the 300+ needed for a new one, as they are pricey but bloody effective.

Thought I'd share. No connection, etc. Dyson rocks.

Reply to
Rich B

Rich B uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I've had similar experience although in warantee I can't fault our local bloke. I'm glad I read this though as last time we did stump up the spondolies for a new one having written off the old one. Ah well.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Same here - One large company that i can report good things about their customer service....

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

The engineer told Di that the waste tips are full of abandoned Dysons which he could easily repair to full functionality for 65 notes a pop. Business plan forms in mind ...

Reply to
Rich B

I shall get our old one out of the store room ....... ;o)

Reply to
Richard

A similar story with my Dyson washing machine - maximum charge £85, not that they have ever actually requested money!

Had a Dyson engineer out 3 times for it over the years - the first time within the warranty period. The second time was out of warranty - no charge plus all "upgraded for the final model year parts" (not actually required for the repair) and a fresh year on the warranty. The last call-out was FOC including parts...

Reply to
Allen

I suppose they've got to spend all the money they saved by moving to Malaysia somehow.

Reply to
Rich B

On or around Thu, 3 Jan 2008 19:02:31 -0000, "Rich B" enlightened us thusly:

waste of time, it's a crap design.

OK, it's got clever features. and to be fair, I'm referring to the DC01, on which the crap features outweigh the clever - like the brush drive belt running on the motor spindle, so anything that jams the brush leads to the belt burning out unless you notice PDQ, and the narrow twisty passage for the dirt to go up which keeps blocking.

If you only hoover up dust then it's quite good.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Lee_D writes

Likewise - I smashed the old one to pieces out of sheer frustration at not getting the bloody thing to come apart - then found I could have got it repaired for fixed price.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Austin Shackles writes

We've got 2 (later ones). Brilliant if you've got hairy dogs.

Reply to
hugh

I must get them to come and look at our DC04, hose is held together with gaffer tape, the clip for the nozzle tool is broken, and there is quite a bit of general "wear and tear" after 7 or so years of use. Still does a damn good job at cleaning though. I just wish the tub was a bit bigger so you didn't have to empty it quite so often. One good session through the house more than fills it and as No.1 daughter has long hair the brush needs to be dehaired, oh that's looking a bit worn as well...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Rich B writes

Changed all the worn bits while he was at it.

Anyone else get the impression that Dysons are a bit like British bikes and land rovers; if you know what they are like they are just fine...................?

Reply to
mark

I found it enlightening that Curries had a whole end of isle devoted to Dyson spares. Excellent, being able to get hold of near everything. But then realised they don't do this as a service but to make a profit. So they must be in demand. When I needed a new vacuum cleaner I just bought the then Which? best buy

- a Panasonic. And despite having a long haired dog and at one time a cleaning lady who could break anything, it's never needed any spares in about 10 years other than bags and belts. Never really understood this Dyson fetish - except perhaps when they were a UK product.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In a dim and distant universe , hugh enlightened us thusly: [Snippety snip]

I didn't know the suction tube was /that/ wide! :-O

Reply to
Paul Vigay

At the time we bought ours none of the other makers had bagless, all th= e suction all of the time, models.

We had a Panasonic, with a bag, it was noisey and after 10 mins of use t= he suction has dropped noticeably. We also have an Electrolux bagged that i= s quieter but again runs out of suck quite quickly. The Dyson sucks the sa= me even with the bin full. Now as Dyson seem happy to repair and maintain t= he thing for =A365, I'd rather that than have to replace.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
John Moppett

Too much suck? See reports of "accidents" involving vacuum cleaners and =

the male appendage...

Not replaced anything on our DC04, washable filter (when I remember) bel= t is orginal and in good condition. Bits are broke and worn but after 7 years of use that is hardly surprising. The =A365 service should take ca= re of them. Who has nicked the tuit jar?

Never is prehaps too strong a word but I think there are more thumbs on =

one hand than number of times I've had to unblock the airways on the DC0=

  1. Cutting No.1 Daughters hair off the rotating brush is another matter.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No chance with a Dyson, those serial cyclones rob them of that.

I actually do use one, recovered from a skip, for a very fine dusty job I do but for picking up lots of rubbish I have a simple earlex and clean the filter regularly plus run the outlet hose outside.

AJH

Reply to
andrew heggie

Dave> On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 13:26:53 +0000, John Moppett wrote: >> Well, if I chose a fetish it would not be the Dyson.

Dave> Too much suck? See reports of "accidents" involving vacuum Dave> cleaners and the male appendage...

If you put it there deliberately, it's not an accident.

Reply to
AndyC the WB

By DC07 (our model) they seem to have sorted these issues. It's quite simply a great design, works well and, for a LR enthusiast, it's almost 100% repairable. Not only does the design allow it, but the manufacturer encourages it.

Reply to
Rich B