Early RR Gauges

On my continuing quest to find out what is really happening with my oil pressure, I am taking the collective advice of the group, and am going to fit a pressure gauge. I have been offered an early RR pressure gauge, and thought whilst I was at it, I could fit the matching oil temperature gauge as well.

Question is the sensors. The pressure gauge sensor I guess is on the oil pump casing, adjacent to the oil pressure switch? Where is the oil temperature sensor?

The guy who is selling me the gauges will happily unbolt the sensors from his engine, just need to know where to look!

An idiots guide to sensor identification would be nice!

Thanks

David

1986 EFi Range Rover
Reply to
rads

The original oil pressure guage is fed real pressure from one of the sockets on the top of the oil filter mount. It then uses a bendy capillary tube with helical ( spring-like ) protecting wire around it, to get the feed up to the guage. (ie- it's not electrical) The oil temperature sensor is the same one that was fitted to the Rover P6 ( 2000-shape before SD1) and MGBV8, but I think not the same as the SD1, as I had problems with the oil temp guage when using an SD1 engine without changing the sensors/senders. I had a remote oil cooler sandwich plate fitted between the oil filter mount and the filter itself, which meant that I had to change the SD1 oil-pump back to the standard one to stop the filter hitting the chassis, then change the sender to give the right reading..

Mark

2002 KLR650 C7, 1989 KMX200, 1981 PE175 X, now sold,but without memories 1971 Range Rover ( mostly in bits! ) remove_nojunk to reply off group
Reply to
Mark Gardiner

Thanks for info.

I think the pressure gauge which is winging its way from ebay is electrical. Do som pre efi RR use an electrical gauge anyone?

Anyone got either oil pressure and or oil temp sensors they want to part with for reasonable money?

David

Reply to
rads