Ebay ripoffs - one perpetrator?

On or around Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:44:39 +0100 (BST), snipped-for-privacy@zhochaka.demon.co.uk ("David G. Bell") enlightened us thusly:

though of course the russian and east german ones don't say "Carl Zeiss" on the lens, they say things like Zeiss Jena. if you advertised such a lens as "Carl Zeiss" and I bought it and found it was in fact a russian one, you'd get some nasty negative feedback.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Run to the bedroom, in the suitcase on the left you'll find my favourite axe, don't look so frightened - this is just a passing phase, one of my bad days!

Sorry Austin, had to add that bit in. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:00:35 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

"goodbye, cruel world, I'm leaving you today...

nah. too dark. Mind, not as dark as the final cut.

nor Chris Rea's "road to hell".

cor, wot lovely insipring taste in music...

mind, I do also rate Holst's Planets, marvellous music. Got one somewhere to which someone else has added a Pluto...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

there's someone in my head and it's not me

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

In article , Tim Hobbs writes

The lunatic is, er, ...under the steering box at the moment.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

On or around Sat, 24 Jul 2004 06:44:54 GMT, SpamTrapSeeSig enlightened us thusly:

hehe. spent half yesterday making 1" lift spacers for the back of the disco.

turns out to be quite easy:

buy from steel supplying bloke 2 110mmx27mm discs of steel

mount one in lathe, turn the one end of it 'till it's round and face off, leaving the middle 2" uncut, continue to machine off face about another mm, resulting in the middle 2" circle standing proud of the surface. This fits inside the hole in the middle of the bottom spring seat.

turn piece round in lathe, machine other end round and face off flat - interesting to note the shape those giant bandsaws put on the cut... I was expecting to have to machine a 2" dia. recess in this end, thinking that the spring mount on the axle has a 2" dia. to locate in the spring seat, but it turns out that the axle bit has no such thing, it's flat.

using spring seat as a guide, centre punch and then drill 2 off 10.5mm holes in the spacer.

repeat for second spacer.

substitute longer 10mm bolts to hold the spring seat down. They don't in fact need to be 25mm longer, as the originals ar 5mm too long in the first place.

replace spring, seat and spacer on vehicle, including the flat bit that holds the spring down onto the seat, and 2 washers underneath same each side.

The rear brake pipe on the disco is *just* long enough to jack the body high enough to not need spring compressors. Unlike the front end... Oddly, you can do it on a 110.

and another point: if fitting variable or dual-rate springs, put the bit with close-packed coils at the top, not at the bottom. I see no technical objection to this (despite that they're mostly fitted the other way up) and it makes the access to the bolts inside the spring *much* easier. If anything, the close-packed part of the spring is heavier, and putting that at the top makes a slight reduction in unsprung weight, probably. Mind, I've just added at least 1kg to the unsprung weight with those spacers...

finally, anyone know who it was selling those modified damper mounts which lower the top end of the damper? In theory , ought to drop the top of the damper 1" to compensate for the loss of travel.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

David from Llama 4x4 was selling them at Billing, cant remember how much they were though, but they did look good!

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Vice Chairman, Newsletter Editor and Webmaster (how much more....)

3.5V8 100" Hybrid, now LPG converted Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (Girlfriend's) 3" lift kit fitted, body shell now restored and mounted on chassis, waiting on a windscreen and MOT Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next 1993 200 TDi Discovery (the Pug 106 is dead, long live the Pug)

Peterborough 4x4 Club

Simon Isaacs

SCORPION RACING does them too. For both front and rear axle (front turrets and rear upper shock mounts)

They are a part of their evolution suspension kit but they can also be sold separately. I do have a connection with them since I am their representative and distributor for Greece so I can not say anything more without the fear of someone saying that I am advertising them.

Take care Pantelis Giamarellos LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Button bashing in practice for another round of Daley Thompson's Decathlon, Pantelis Giamarellos left Shakespeare to the monkeys by typing...

Try (Ithink I've got his name right) Bryn Hemmings - possibly of BPH engineering.

Fair play to you for admitting your connection and therefore not 'bigging them up', but I heard from a reliable source that Scorpion didn't really invent the kit anyway, merely 'borrowing the idea' and modifying it slightly, so you'd be on safe ground saying the original design works perfectly, and that Scorpion have 'updated it'...

Cue irate Scorpion Racing flamester......

Reply to
weallhatebillgates

AFAIK the first company to introduce a lowered turrets and rear upper shock mounts set was an Italian one called Equipe 4X4.

Scorpion Racing's things are slightly better made and more competitively priced not to mention that they are also readily available and they do speak English, something that the Italians consider as a menace to their cultural background.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Button bashing in practice for another round of Daley Thompson's Decathlon, Pantelis Giamarellos left Shakespeare to the monkeys by typing...

I was referring to the 'extreme suspension' as a whole. Not that I mind, I think the Scorpion kit is ok quality and available to all. The person I had in mind built the setup many years ago only for himself with no notion of making it commercially available. I also saw a very awkward version on a bob-tailed (and -nosed) RR (again many years ago but someone may know of one/own one like this) which had extended radius arms at both ends (by about 18") and was apparently a pig to drive on the road.

Why would Italians consider Scorpion Racing's ability to speak English a menace? ;-)

Reply to
weallhatebillgates

What I meant was that the Italians did not wish to communicate in English and only wanted to do so in their language. Unfortunately for them English, French or Latin was not good as a means of communication.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Heck, I buy the filters at the local KMart for less than that (converted to A$)

Ron Emu Plains, Australia

Reply to
The Becketts

In message , The Becketts writes

Not as long as there are people around who will buy a bottle of water claimed to be from Diana's fountain.

Reply to
hugh

Well, I'd be buying some then and placing them on eBay - - - - -

Reply to
Mike Buckley