Eberspacher - where to get the fuel

I am planning to install an Eberspacher air heater in my Defender 200Tdi.

Where do I take the fuel from: return pipe or supply line? I have two different instruction booklets that say different things, leaving me a bit confused.

Thanks for any help.

Pieter

Reply to
pieter

In article , snipped-for-privacy@vroomREMOVEzone.co.uk (pieter) growled:

When Beth installed a Webasto in our 90 she extended the return pipe in the tank so as to ensure the end was submerged and then used that (trying to use the supply line isn't really a good plan as it means pulling fuel through the pump).

Reply to
Paul Oldham

Take it from a spare union on the fuel filter housing or T off from the pipe that feeds the injector pump after the fuel filter. I don't know which pump the other poster refers to because only the lift pump lives between the filter and the tank and that is not a problem.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Since when do 200Tdi's have a fuel pump in the tank?

The supply can be 't'd into the fuel line, as close as possible to the tank, with the pump mounted a couple of inches above the top of the tank. Alternatively go to a truck dealer and get them to fit a separate lift pipe to your tank to supply the heater.

Reply to
SimonJ

In article , snipped-for-privacy@mine.net (SimonJ) growled:

I've no idea. I didn't make any claim as to the location of the pump ...

Reply to
Paul Oldham

In article , hedydd[nospam]@tiscali.co.uk (Huw) growled:

I'm talking about a V8 so it's petrol, not a diesel, but it still has what is essentially a lift pump, it's just serving carbs rather than an injector pump. But the same comment applies: making the heater suck its fuel through the lift pump is making the heater pump work harder and surely can't be a good thing. So you either want to tee off before the lift pump (if that's possible, it's not on a V8 as the pump is in the tank but another poster is suggesting that with the Tdi the lift pump is external so in that case you could tee off before it) or use the return pipe.

Reply to
Paul Oldham

Defender

The OP has a diesel.

but it still has what

The heater is a mechanical component not a man with a shovel prone to fatigue after a long days work :-) Apart from that, I do not believe a diaframn lift pump with one way valves offers any significant obstruction to flow. Maybe you know different?

So you either want to tee off before the lift pump (if that's

Funnily enough the lift pump is probably not essential for day to day running because the Bosch injector pump probably has enough suction of its own. Bleeding an engine or starting the engine with a near empty tank might be problematic though, especially if parked facing uphill.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

In article , hedydd[nospam]@tiscali.co.uk (Huw) growled:

But it is an electrically powered component, doing work when the supply of enthusiastic electrons comes solely from the battery. Hence anything one can do to minimise the amount needed is a good thing.

I don't know the 200Tdi lift pump but if it is, as you say, a diaphragm pump with one way valves then it the valves will obstruct the flow and require additional energy (which comes in the end from the battery) to pull fuel through. Shrug. I'm sure it's only marginal, but if you've got a free choice as to how to do it why make things worse than they need to be?

Yeah, I've always wondered about that myself.

Good point.

Reply to
Paul Oldham

Since always!!!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

I'm pretty sure mine didn't though I have no idea of the system employed when the tank went plastic. That is, if it changed at all.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

It didn't !!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Then it doesn't have a pump in the tank, although petrol ones always have had.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I'm confused now - from the original post I'd assumed we are talking Disco, which has always had a plastic tank!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

message

system

always

I'm not entirely sure about that, I must admit, since it is ten years since I sold my own Disco but I do not recall a plastic tank. It almost certainly did not have a tank pump as fitted in petrol versions because I recall the lift pump on the block clearly. I also recall the electric pump fitted to RR which buzzed slightly when pumping, as most do to an extent.

Huw

Reply to
Huw