Electric fans

110 Defender, '91, 200 Tdi My radiator has finally given up the ghost. It's final flourish was to give the windscreen a good soaking in anti-freeze.

Whilst it's stripped down, I might fit an electric fan. Pacet vs Kenlowe? Any other suggestions welcome. I fancy a pair of pushers and get shot of that damned great cowling to give a little more room in the engine bay.

I'm also contemplating an aluminium radiator since the standard replacement for mine is pretty pricey anyway.

Reply to
Swanning about

Have just replaced my 110 V8 radiator. Cost me =A3108, but I wasn't very impressed with what I got. It had a plastic plug in the top which sheared when I tried to undo it, and after I had drilled it out I found it had a crappy metric thread, so the brass filler plug out of the old one didn't fit - I had to make one.

I went to a radiator maker, I should have insisted they re-core the old radiator rather than supply a replacement (the price was the same). Next time I will know better.

What you need in fans will depend on what engine, what transmission, what country, and how much off-road you do. If you are in the tropics or do slow speed off-roading then you will really need the fans. I would have thought they would be better on an off-roader behind the radiator as the radiator will filter out the really large clods of mud that will stop the blades going around. Even then, they are not much good if the radiator is bunged up.

For road use in England the fan on mine is not needed unless stuck in traffic (in fact the viscous coupling is shot so it does nothing useful anyway), I have already ripped out the cowling and binned it, and bought a cheap 14" electric puller fan to go in - but its rather tricky to mount it. I expect it will have to go in before the summer arrives, but I don't suppose I will need more than that.

Some of these electric fan kits cost more than a radiator - daft money if you ask me. I used to have a 110TD and fitted an electric puller fan off a renault from a scrap car. That cost me nothing, and was very effective even though it was only about 12 to 14 inches. I don't think in 4 years that I had to turn it on more than a dozen times, but then it was not off-road for long periods. More into a field and then out again. Its amazing how much room it gives you in the engine bay when you remove the cowling, you can get in there and stand on the front cross-member to work on the engine. Dead handy.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve