engine replacement?

Complete amateur so please bear with me. I've been offered a 1980 series

111, ex army, LWB for almost nothing and am considering if I should have it. The chassis is Very good as is the body work, but the engine is knackered. I'ts a straight 6 petrol, but I want to put a diesel in. Qu: What is involved fitting a non landie engine(transit/isuzi etc)? How does a "foreign" engine mate to the gearbox? Do you fit the new engine's gearbox ? How does this work out? As I said, complete newbie, so any advice welcome..TIA bob g

escort 1.8 TD (: \

Reply to
bobgal

Lots of non-LR engines can be fitted, but Sherpa / LDV engines I believe are easiest as they are virtually the same. There are so many Landy engines available I have to wonder why people bother with the aggro of it though.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Oh yes, Lee will be along shortly to tell you how straightforward the Jaguar 4.2 conversion is. It is, however, unlikely that he will be able to tell you why.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

You description of the current engine sounds wrong to me, but I'm not an expert. It should be the standard Land Rover 2.25 4-cylinder petrol; the straight 6 petrol was an earlier engine, and I don't know that the Army ever used it. A "foreign" engine already?

There are decent 2.25 engines available for not very much, and it's a solid, reliable engine. The old straight 6 is a different beast. Neither is high-powered. but it you want to put something more powerful in an SIII you need to think carefully about such things as the brakes.

The normal procedure is to use an adaptor-ring between the bell-housing and the engine. There will also be some changes to the clutch. The Land Rover gearbox is a solid design and doesn't need changing. The other major item is the engine mounting brackets. New ones will need to be welded to the chassis, and welded right.

An argument against some "foreign" engines is the cost of spares. The Rover V8 and the 2.5 diesel developed from the 2.25 are worth a look, but then the engines start getting expensive.

Depending on just why the engine is knackered, it might be repairable. My experience is with the 4-cylinder 2.25, and for that the Haynes manual is quite decent.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Don't know whether it is possible, but if I had a choice of engines I would go for the Ford V6, lovely engine that , would pull a train. I would not know about gearing though and of course I would lose out on the simplicity and inherent unbreakability of the bog standard engine.

Reply to
Larry

Twas Sat, 06 Dec 2003 09:26:30 +0000 when Tim Hobbs put finger to keyboard producing:

it's a Jaguar 4.2! what do you mean 'why' ??

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Twas Sat, 6 Dec 2003 13:02:20 -0000 when "Larry" put finger to keyboard producing:

from something like a mk 3 granada 2.9?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Something like that or a Mk 2

Reply to
Larry

:-)

Why is easy, It was attached to an Autobox which I needed to fit due my knee being FUBR or so it was suggested... however since my op I've returned to normal activities though needless to say I take all the precautions I can such as Knee pads when working on cars...can't recommend them enough. I also avoid hard work in the intrests of preservation of the other body parts I have in good order ;-)

I intially wanted to fit an Autobox and the Bw65 was prescribed by Ashcrofts to mate via there conversion to a series transferbox. There were at the time two possible sources for the BW65, the SD1 Rover and the Jaguar XJ series of motors (Technically the Bw66, however parts were required anyway from the BW66 so what the hell!). SD1's were not in plentyful supply but I managed to drop on a Jag and did a deal with a friend who wanted the rolling remains so I got the Engine , box and all the ancilaries for £50. So being a tight arse I explored fitting the Jag lump to the IIa This involved several minutes with a tape measure.

I was subsequently told by many experienced Landrover owners that it would never fit, I was also told by a friend with a IIa who worked for Jaguar that it would never fit.

2 Years later (purely down to other demands on my time - Kids - Life - etc etc) it was in .

So to summarise,

  1. I needed an Auto, or sell the IIa (previously crashbox)
  2. I'm tight
  3. Some fool lit the touch paper and told me I couldn't do what I knew I could (as proven with said tape measure).
  4. Every man and his dogs done a v8 ...much as I lov'em to bits.

:-)

I now have a IIa which is more economical than a 2.25 Landrover, a pleasure to drive (I can dedicate both hands to fighting the steering!) and a tad quick. It's also great for towing and doesn't do an impression of a lawn mower with an anchor if loaded with anything more that one of those Halfords type car trailers. It's also tax exempt and the insurance is just over £130 fully comp with 1 years noclaims bonus (limited to 900 miles as thats all I did last year) for under 4000 miles last year it cost me just over £180 with no noclaims. Given all the mods thats a result.

I'm also assured by an engineering student that I should be putting down around 200 bhp at the wheels.... a little more than standad landies.

The defence rests m'lud......

Of course this true story is available at all good web browsers at

in the project percy section.

Regards and good luck to the op in what ever engine you choose.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I don't mean to doubt you, as you're a minor god of automotive bodging, but - really?

Reply to
QrizB

So the knee op worked then? Got to have both of mine sorted sometime in the next few months. My left knee is the one that gives me real problems especially when its cold.

Reply to
Nikki

Hmm. I've been told many times by many people that I cannot fit a GM Straight Six with Engine Managment into my IIa.

All disbelievers will perish in hell when I do it.

Once I get round to starting it, that is.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I have heard that the 2.9 and the earler 3.0 differ in some way, and only the 3.0 can be readily fitted to a landrover.

If you can get the conversion kit anyway, aren't they out of production now?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Are you refering to the conversion kit or the engines, the 3 liter was fitted to Capris was it not, as well as the mk I granny.

My 2.8 version could haul 2 and half tons of limo at 110 mph and tow at illegal speeds.

Reply to
Larry

yeah... it's actually running better now than the 2 1/4 did. Given that I hardly ever need apply copious amounts of throttle... On choke it just goes anyway :-)

And around the town it's in Third (top) almost as soon as I've pulled off due to the gearing....now then I suppose if I were to blat down the motorway then I'd see somewhat of a difference.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I don't know. I'm not a Ford expert, and TBH I don't want anything to do with Dagenham Dustbins.

Alex

Reply to
Alex