Engine stop solenoid

Stop solenoid blew apart during normal driving, no problem to fix but resulting power surge melted 3 out of 4 indicator bulbs, blew one tail light and one brake light, plus dash indicator repeater lamp, but didn't blow a single fuse. Question is, did solenoid exploding cause power surge, hence no blown fuses or did power surge cause exploding solenoid? Any ideas as to what or where to look gratefully recieved.

Chris Hughes

1986 Landrover 110 2.5 N/A
Reply to
Chris Hughes

I can't think of any way the stop solenoid could cause this...

My advice would be to check the charge voltage with the engine running, it sounds suspiciously like the alternator is putting out too high a voltage. It's also possible for this to happen intermittently so installing a volt meter is a good idea so you can keep an eye on it.

I remember my Series III developing a similar fault. It started off with the headlights changing brightness at night, at first it was great as it made driving in the dark much easier... until it started blowing bulbs/ fuses and melting the harness :-(

You weren't anywhere near any military establishments at the time ?

No bright lights in the sky ?

Just ruling out outside influences :-)

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Thanks Dave, you were spot on, first charge check no issues at around 14v but subsequent checks showed 17+ volts. Looks like new alternator or maybe regulator if I'm lucky

Reply to
Chris Hughes