engine swap

Is the ford 2.4 duratorq a sensible/feasible swap for a V8 110?

AJH

Reply to
andrew

It wont be anyway near as lively as the V8, but if it fits, it'll save a lot of fuel for you. So long as you don't put Petrol in the tank by mistake! Make sure it's a good engine first though. A lot of Ex White Van lumps, have been "Well thrashed" to say the least.

Many people have used similar engines for that job. Just make sure that none of the engine ancileries get in the way of anything. Some Ford engines have all that gubbins on the Left, not the Right side. Can be a bit tight as a result. I've seen someone put something like that in a Left Hooker SIII, they had to lean the engine over to the right, to get room for the steering etc. It all worked in the end though.

If there are adapter plates freely available, then it's all probably been done many times before, and there could even be a kit of needed bits etc. If no one does an adapter, there may be a good reason why not.

A 200 or 300TDi will be easier to fit.

Have Fun!

DaveB. (SIII 109 coiler with an Ex Disco 200TDi. Yes, it does fit!)

Reply to
DaveB

I know, it's just running cost.

I've had an off group reply to avoid.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Have you considered LPG I had a 50th Anniversary 4.0 litre V8 auto gear box - brilliant.

Reply to
hugh

LPG although cheaper isn't quite the saving it was.. definately need to do the math.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In message , Lee_D writes

True, but then petrol isn't cheap either. A simple single point open loop system would do very well on his engine

- a DIY kit would be even cheaper to fit.

Reply to
hugh

Indeed. Although to be honest, the cost of LPG is still roughly 50p less than petrol, a differential that has remained relatively constant over the years even though both fuels have increased considerably. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

It's had a simple lpg system for 10ish years, I'm anticipating the differential between lpg and petrol will decrease.

I just had the offer of the transit engine cheap.

I still have a spare V* RR engine with twin choke but driving LRs has become expensive.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

I had a 200 Tdi and we put lpg on it. You need the smallest vaporiser you can get hold of, a spigot mixer and a pressure switch to switch on the lpg as the turbo ramps up.

Went like the proverbial rocket. Didn't really save money compared to straight diesel.

Reply to
hugh

LPG is deathly on resale too, unless you keep the inspection/approval up to date..

Reply to
Molesworth