engine-swapping...

a mate has been getting silly-sounding quotes for swapping a disco TDi+LT77 gearbox into a range rover with a VM+LT77...

any ideas how many pitfalls there may be? ISTR the RR is a conversion from a V8, originally.

Given that he's got what amounts to a scrap disco, so all the mounting brackets and so on and indeed the exhaust, rad, intercooler and so forth are available. The engine's still in the disco, of course, but hauling the engine/box combo out of a disco shouldn't be as much as a day's work, I reckon. Given the right equipment, I'd reckon to get both engines out in not much over a day, and, allowing for the possibility that the refit to the RR might be slower, I don't see more'n 3 days for the whole job, really - say 25 hours, and some of the prices he's been quoted make for a lot more per hour than I make...

Apparently the VM has a dead turbo and a (or more) blown head gasket - the dead turbo would explain the lack of go which said mate reported from the thing.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Why not just fix the Turbo and sort the head gaskets?

I did this a while ago and also replaced the Pistons and Big end bearings.

Got change out of £700 using

for the parts and turbo techniques refurbished my turbo for me.

.....says me who's just binned a Jaguar Engine through lack of interest .... and please don't ask if I've been eying up the spare V8 here as well .

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:07:28 GMT, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

I think this has been decided on as the cheapest option. mind, I reckon most of the potential engine-swappers are taking the piss. one quoted

8-900, wish I could get knocking on for 300 quid a day.

I'm almost tempted to quote meself, except that I haven't really got the time.

Reply to
Austin Shackles