Engine tapping gone after trans flush?!

I took my wife's '95 Disco 1 V8 to the dealer to have a full transmission service done at a cost of about $370 (190 quid?) during which they flushed the fluid, replaced the pan gasket, and some various other O-rings and stuff.

This car has had regular tapping ticking noises from what I THOUGHT was the top end of the motor and I was researching doing a complete top-end rebuild, since it has 170,000 miles on it! I was going to replace the cam, lifters, pushrods and rocker shaft assemblies along with the timing chain and all the requisite seals in the area.

Well now the tapping is all but gone! I can't remember the last time the engine sounded so good, but the noises are completely gone. I'm baffled, because I was positive I was hearing top end engine noises, but after the trans work, I don't hear a thing!

What the hell could possibly be going on here? The engine used to tick in every gear selection including P and .

While I'm certainly not complaing about the fact that the engine suddenly sounds great, I'm very confused. I seriuosly doubt it's just a coincidence, since the car has faithfully tapped/ticked for years now, no matter what oil it has in it.

Reply to
Anthony

TBH, if a V8 had got to 170k without the heads off, I'd be amazed if it

*wasn't* making a bit of noise from the top end. I reckon the shock of the bill has given you some high-frequency hearing loss.
Reply to
Rich B

Did this noise only start after the engine was warmed through?

I have a similar noise in my V8 auto (160K miles). About 35K miles ago I had a top end overhaul and it ran great. In the last 8K miles this noise has started. The garage has taken off the top end again and checked cam and followers etc. All seems well. They even swapped the rocker assembly as a last resort! Still it happens. Sounds a little like a diesel "knock" it some ways but more metallic. If you see what I am saying :-)

Disco seems to run ok otherwise.

Intersted to know more about the transmission work you had done.

Cheers Geoff

Reply to
GWGY

Nah, it ticked cold/warm/freeway/offroad/whatever. Didn't matter. The trans work was a full fluid flush, pan gasket replacement, filter screen replacement and I noticed some parts in the reciept labled O- rings. It does shift much more smoothly now, that's for sure.

Reply to
Anthony