Austin Shackles wibbled

Fully agree, nice one Austin.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

done

jon

Dakar 4.2

jon

A good idea Austin, PROVIDED that the new licence is displayed on the vehicle BEFORE the vehicle is actually used or parked on the road. There's no chance of excuses for delay in that case, they should be happy with that.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Reply to
Alex

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Signed, but I'm sure they'll ignore it like all the others :-(

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

Sorry Austin, but I'm not going to sign it - hastily dons flack jacket and helmet

Whilst I agree with you wholeheartedly these petitions are a waste of time and are only tolerated by the government so that they can say they are listening to the public. Listening is one thing .. actually doing something as a consequence is another.

Reply to
SteveG

How about a petition to get them to tell us which petitions they have actually acted upon :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I can't see a problem in renewing it every year. Helps keep a track on vehicles. Surely this is a good thing?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hum, FOI?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

don't bother with a petition just get a tory MP to ask the question mind you don't expect an answer just the usual politico nonspeak and evasion. Much like this weeks debacle the only reason the weasel quit was because he couldn't find a civil servant to hang out to dry.......... Derek

Reply to
Derek

The date being 24 Jan 2008, "Dave Plowman (News)" decided to write:

It's a pain in the neck. They send out reminders before the first day that you can renew tax/sorn and you can be fined if you forget. Surely if you own a vehicle it should be your responsibility until you notify the DVLA that you have sold, exported or destroyed it.

Reply to
Richard Porter

I'd say the main reason the excise duty hasn't been abolished and put on fuel tax is the need to register the vehicle details each year. It's all very well saying it should be your responsibility to register any changes only when they happen but many simply wouldn't bother.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

As did I, even though the only things Pom about me are my passport and my parents.

Reply to
EMB

It's an easy way of knowing what exactly is on the road and an attempt to make sure everyone is insured and has the appropriate documentation up to date.

Reply to
William Black

On or around Thu, 24 Jan 2008 19:44:43 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

I'm sure they'd write that into it... in any case, there are NO excuses for not having a licensed vehicle - to use the "14 days" get-out clause, you must ALRAEDY have applied for a license, by post (or presumably now online), before the old one expired. The 14 days is to let them post it back to you.

contrary to popular belief, that you get 14 days before you have to apply...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:10:38 +0530, "William Black" enlightened us thusly:

but for vehicles that are NOT on the road, it's a waste of time and resources to keep saying so every year, which is my point.

I've been had several times for failure to SORN, because I have several SORN vehicles at any given time, and in many cases, none of them end up going back on the road, but they're still more or less complete and therefore not scrapped.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 24 Jan 2008 21:52:53 GMT, SteveG enlightened us thusly:

up to you. I can't see how it can have less effect than not signing them, and it takes minimal time and effort.

Granted, nothing seems to happen, but they DO produce responses to serious, and sensible ones. There's little control on what gets in, I recall one petitioning Tony Blair to stand on his head and juggle eels, or something.

Way I see it, if you don't ask, you don't get.

Reply to
Austin Shackles