EU to ban imperial measurements

What's "legacy" about millibar ? The unit of "Bar" is still accepted (Table 8) CIGPM 8th edition....

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

comprehendible!

You can't have half a foot, you'll fall over.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

S'not an SI unit.

Reply to
EMB

If you don't even have 6 inches then you might not want to join in a thread about measurements!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Its still permitted, its considered a supplementary unit.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

"Ian Rawlings" wrote....>

Now don't get fractious with your fractions, you know very well that half a foot is 5/2 toes.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Sun, 22 Apr 2007 12:40:21 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

100 ci is about 1600 cc. and the 427 engine is the one to have, apparently, not the 428.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

The ci to cc conversion factor is not unlike the mph to kph one if you want an easy approximation to remember. Multiply by 1.61 and move the decimal point one place right.

Reply to
EMB

should be refraised as the 'above-average' bloke is just under 2m tall! I'm about 1m90 which is 'just under' 2m in my mind :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

English law uses 'supplementary' to mean 'in addition to the legal unit'. The SI authority does not use the term 'supplementary' but here is what it has to say about the few old units that it lists:

inclusion of non-SI units in this text does not imply that the useof non-SI units is to be encouraged. For the reasons already stated SIunits are generally to be preferred. It is also desirable to avoidcombining non-SI units with units of the SI; in particular, thecombination of non-SI units with the SI to form compound units shouldbe restricted to special cases in order not to compromise theadvantages of the SI. Finally, when any of the non-SI units in Tables7, 8, and 9 are used, it is good practice to define the non-SI unit interms of the corresponding SI unit.*****************************************************

Here is something more about the transition to SI:

International Civil Aviation Organisation and the WorldMeteorological Organisationhave adopted the hectopascal (symbol hPa) as the unit for altimetersettings and atmosphericpressure measurement. The hectopascal and the millibar are identicalin all but name. Many barometers already in existence have scales graduated in the units listed below: , (a) the Torr, (b) the conventional millimetre of mercury (symbol mmHg), (c) the conventional inch of mercury (symbol inHg). The scales of new instruments should be graduated in kPa or hPa, with additional graduations in one or more of the "conventional" units only if required by practical necessity. *****************************************************
Reply to
pat.norton

Ignore the above - it's a partial draught that's emerged from the bowels of the computer without permission!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

It's the 440 (7.2) for me - a Mopar 'big block.' ISTR many moons ago

1bhp/cubic inch was a reasonable state of tune for a naturally aspirated engine, like 100bhp/litre. Of course the 'big block' yank V8's are history now, modern production small blocks (around 5 litres) are just as powerful - though people tell me that they don't sound quite as good.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Yes, I am. Do you think Johnny foreigner measures things as 1 and 7/8 ths of a metre? I'm of to Brussels on Saturday, and Norway on Sunday - I'm going to ask the locals if they use fractions combined with their metric maths, and I'll find a good spread of age groups too.

I'll report back.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

That's not what I asked though was it, you were suggesting that fractions had no use outside of imperial measurements, what I've been trying to say is it's just number representation, so it's perfectly valid to say "half a metre" rather than "0.5 metres" in everyday language, and it's also valid to say "half an apple", fractions have lots of uses...

This whole thread is getting daft anyway, with people moaning on about

10% errors in a judging-by-eye context, so I'm off.
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Mon, 23 Apr 2007 16:19:12 GMT, "Julian" enlightened us thusly:

there ain't no substitute for cubes (or somesuch). Mind, to a degree I agree: you can get 50 BHP from a 125cc bike engine, but not for long. A modern 2-litre engine can produce 300+ BHP, but I bet it won't carry on doing so with minimal maintenance for 30+ years in the way that the series

2¼ will produce about 60 BHP.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

TBO I think it was the JAA (the european joint aviation authority) that forced the CAA's hand on this one.

As an aside I was breaking up a steel chassis of an old static caravan today - I used my new sledge hammer to finish breaking through the cuts that I used my (9'') angle grinder to make. Guess what, cast into the metal was '10lbs,' I guess some chap will have to take the grinder to the moulds soon or risk a fine. Fsuking worlds gone mad IMHO!

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

But I have better things to do than piss about learning a new set of numbers when the ones I carry in my head learned in the University of Life are perfectly adequate.

If someone mentions 8inches I have a good idea what that represents, but

20cms? Haven't a clue unless i approximate it to inches in my head.
Reply to
hugh

In message , Julian writes

Bit like the change from cycles per sec, a perfectly natural concept, to Hertz - what the f**** has a car rental firm got to do with tuning my radio?