Eurovox wiring...Help?

G'day workers.....

Has anyone knowledge of the 'connection plug lead designations' for a "Eurovox 6315 OE".....

I'd like to put this unit ( it's a radio/ cassette) in my 'old' machine (1977). It was replaced in a Landrover Defender TDi300 1997 , and though I have the Unit, with plug and short wires ( and the security code) The connections are a 'maze' to me.

I hope you can help. I sure would appreciate it.

The plug that goes into the back of the unit has _many_ more connections than the usual earth/battery/accessories/ L&R speakers..... !!

Holding the plug with long axis downward, locking lug on right and viewing from the wires side ( not the plug 'holes' side which plugs into the back of the Eurovox), I have the following thirteen wires;- _____________________________ white/black stripe, | white

green/black stripe, | green

purple, | red

grey(on its own) -- (LOCK LUG SIDE)

black, | orange

yellow/black stripe, | yellow

blue/backstripe, | blue ______________________________

Looking forward to a reply from someone who has this knowledge ( or access to it). I've searched the 'net, but wasn't able to find any diagrams ( as 'Pioneer' have for their products!) I also emailed Eurovox in similar terms to the above but they didn't reply.

Best wishes,

..... frodo.

Reply to
frodo

Hi Frodo, just wired my 6330 into my sons first car so can help out.

_____________________________

Using above format:

FRONT right | FRONT right

FRONT left | FRONT left

12V + | 12V + connected to ignition switch

auto antenna (I didn't use this)

EARTH | (don't know name but used on some car phones to turn volum down when phone rings-not needed)

BACK right | BACK right

BACK left | BACK left

As a matter of convention the speaker wires that have the thin black stripe are used to make sure all the speakers are connected to the same polarity, and this way they are all in sync. On some speakers (low end of market) it also shows the "earth" wire for the speaker.

The purple 12 volt wire is connected to a voltage source that is always on, as this is what maintains the radios memory (radio station settings and clock) and makes the LED on the front flash as a security warning.

If you want the radio to work without having to have the ignition switch on, then simply run the two wires together to your fused active

12 volt supply.

To make sure the radio is OK I connect the purple and black wire to the 12 volt and earth respectively and make sure the LED comes on. When the red wire is cionnected then the screen lights up etc and you can put the security code etc in.

Don't run the radio without any speakers connected as you may wreck the output circuit and this is expensive.

The antenna plugs into the socket at the rear right hand side.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Phillip Simpson

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

G'day Phillip...

What a _fantastic_ , 'comprehensive' :) response from you!!! Thank you. ...So _excellent_ !!!

You covered it _all_, Phillip.... so there's _no_ excuse now for a wiring of this unit with no probs at all into my 'old bus', eh.

Interesting that "Eurovox" ( even in NZ) failed to answer my query directly to them, eh!

With such a diverse collection of 'others' on this group, it never ceases to amaze me that there is usually _someone_ who has the answer to one's question. You sure came up with the goods on this one. Spot on!!

Thanks again, Phillip.

.... frodo.

Reply to
frodo

Hey Phillip.... Just one more..? :)) ....... What speakers ?.... I'm guessing 4 Ohms ( ?) , but what is the _Output_ of the Eurovox 6315 ..... i.e. should I run 50 watts a side... 100 watts speakers??... more? Any difference if I run two or four ??

Regards....

.... frodo.

Reply to
frodo

How? Is this a quirk of the Eurovox?

Unloaded speaker o/p won't blow an ouput stage on ordinary car radios, unless you mean connecting the speakers as a means of ensuring that the o/p are not inadvertantly shorted (which would blow the o/p stage).

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

I agree - unloaded o/p haven't been a problem since the days of valve amplifiers.

Reply to
EMB

Hey guys, thanks for reminding me just how old I really am! I was in the radio club at Wgtn college in the late sixties and these were the old valve units. Since then I never like to run any radio/amp etc with zero load on the o/p's. Some habits just die hard.

Cheers

Phillip Simpson

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

Hi Frodo, no probs. As I had just wired up the 6330 into my son's car it only seemed the right thing to do.

As I see it the 6330 went into the disco and the 6315 went into the defender. Difference is that the 6330 has a CD input on the front.

I suspect that part of the poor response from Eurovox is that the system is an OEM arrangement with LR, and as such they may not have all the info easily available.

Even the Hayman manual had schematics that showed the radio connections, but these were for the UK based systems. Still it helped me understand the Eurovox wiring "philosophy", and the rest was easy (multimeter and removed outer case to confirm connections).

Anyway I know it works so was happy to pass the info on.

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

Hi Frodo, speakers we connected to in the Mazda were 4 ohms, 12 W nominal (25W max). Unknown brand but were whatever was supplied in the

1985 Mazda.

We have 4 spkrs to maximise the benefits of the 6330, especially the fade and balance. This way the sound can be altered front/back as well as left/right.

I would imagine that these days 4 speakers would be the standard configuration you would want. The sound coming from the above speakers in the Mazda is brilliant on a wide range of music, and they have an excellent base response which always sounds good in a metal box (ie car).

Audiophiles can better recomend speakers, but not being one I just use what is there, or choose to afford at the time.

By the way what vehicle are you fitting the radio to?

Cheers

Phillip

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

....///...

G'day Phillip.....

Just wanted to check with you in case the speakers I intend using might have been too low. I didn't want distortion at low volume...... Heheheheh...Anyway, I bought some Sony 4 Oh 100w 6" ( nom. 30 or 40w) with extruded cones, _three_ ways, too, at "Super Cheap's" sale for $80 a pair. I want Mozart crisp and clean, John Lee Hooker boogying to all, Nachariakov's and James Morrison's brass to blow me away .... and all the Trad I can pump through the system into mine.... Hehhehhehhehheh !!! ........ Give these bloody 'doof-doofers' some _REAL_ music !!

I replaced the Eurovox with a Pioneer Cd/tuner that does all the above... and more..., in my '97 Defender110 TDi300.

But I also have (furtively glancing left and right... and sotto voce on _this_ group :)) ) a 1977 HJ45 Landcruiser. ( bought it 'third' hand in

1980. It's indestructable!!) It is this _great_ tank in which the 'new system' will go. The radio seems quite excellent in the Eurovox..... maybe even better than the Pioneer. The tape is far from the quality of a Cd, but, as you said, 'it's _there_ ' !

In my Defender, the audio is _really_ flying. _Best_ sound I've _ever_ had....... must be the long tin box. I've got two three way 6x9" extruded 'Pioneers' in the back corners, and two of the 6" three way 'Sonys' on the lower dash corners. ...... I'm now a travelling sound system when I want to be! :))) Even my wife's "Neil Diamond"CD's.... AAaaarrrrrggghhhhhh !!! sound _almost_ tolerable for a few minutes with this 'good' ( for me) system.

BTW.... thanks to the other workers for the recent speaker wiring advice in the Landie..... 'got there' in the end. There _still_ must be a better way than 'wot I dun' !.... but it's all done now!!!

Thanks again, Phillip, for your words and time in setting me 'on the right track' with the thirteen 'mystery wires' :)))....

Best wishes,

.... frodo.

Reply to
frodo