Exhaust fitting problem - 1991 RR Classic with 300Tdi

Wonder if anyone can help me with this.

A 1991 RR Classic originally a 3.9 EFI Auto. Has had the engine & gearbox replaced with a 1998 300Tdi/R380. The exhaust currently fitted consists of a 300Tdi downpipe to about 12" past the flexy pipe. Then about 2' of flex pipe welded on to go underneath the gearbox x-member, then coupled to a V8 midbox on a bell flange. Rest of the exhaust is V8. (Well, untill you get to the daft twin DTM Scorpion s-s back box someone has fitted)

I have a complete new exhaust to go on it, designed to fit a late RR with a 300Tdi, but the gearbox crossmember is right in the way of the downpipe. The crossmember is a tubular one, about 4" diameter, which is shaped thusly \___/ and bolts onto the chassis rails. The downpipe appears to want to pass directly through where the xmember is.

I notice that a Disco with a 200Tdi has a differently shaped x-member (it is also box section), but the 200Tdi downpipe is completely different as the turbo is the other way round, so I am unable to determine wether a 300Tdi downpipe would pass it. The 200Tdi downpipe goes above the x-member.

Is there a different x-member on the later RR 300Tdi, or is it specific to Tdi/VM or specific to manual gearboxes or what?

Before I start to cut this downpipe about to route it round the x-member, it would be handy to know if there is a different x-member available, and if I have to re-route it, does the 300Tdi downpipe pass above or below the x-member? (Obviously above is preferable, especially as this is a RR for mainly off-road use)

Any help appreciated...

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Alex Hi,

Petrol engined RaRo Classic vehicles had the ANR3428 and ANR3429 crossmember. Diesel engined RaRo Classic vehicles had the ANR1223 crossmember which was superceded by the ANR2278 one.

This part (ANR2278) was also used on 300Tdi engined Discos so you may be able to find a secondhand one at a cheap price.

HTH

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

RRC 300Tdi's use the same down pipe as 300Tdi Discovery's, though RRC 300Tdi's were not available without the CAT, so a 300Tdi Discovery non-CAT down pipe should fit without modification (execpt getting it to attach to the rest of your system) - ESR2740

200Tdi RRC's use ANR1223 gearbox crossmember, but the book fails to mention 300Tdi's - presumably it would be the same - but the tubular "step down" type NTC5013 fitted to other variants from 1992 would get extra clearence (these number have probably superceeded).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd