Exhaust manifold heat shields

I'm about to refit the rebuilt engine in my Range Rover 4.6 HSE. The Exhaust manifolds are the stainless steel tubular type, and these have heat shields on them. They are in two parts which are fitted behind and infront, sort of clam shell like. They're a real pig to remove if the securing bolts have seized, as typically they will on exhaust components. I've seriously damaged mine, and I'm contemplating not replacing them, they cost about =A3200 a set. I've seen some pictures of a late Disco without heat shields, and am wondering how important they are on the Range Rover? Could I just leave them off? Any ideas as why they are fitted?

Alan C

Reply to
alan.cutler

Alan C

They are fitted to help retain heat within the exhaust gas as this ensures a quicker warm-up time for the lambda probes, also they help to keep underbonnet temps down slightly, allegedly! To be honest the difference in lambda response is absolutely minimal, as is the underbonnet temp, so it's not a problem to just simply do away with them. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Alan C

Probably not a good idea as Badger says its pushing the heat further down the exhaust with the results of lowering the underbonnet temperature. I sprung for the heat wrap for the Disco (TDi) and yes it certainly makes life easier when working over a hot engine and a little quieter too a little more critical on a turbo ( cooler charge) but every little helps

Derek

As I said, the difference is minimal (other than when working over a hot engine, maybe, as Derek rightly pointed out). Personally, I don't fit them and I've never had any probs although heat-wrap is a cheaper and simpler alternative if you want to keep something there. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Exhaust heat rap, now I've got some of that somewhere for the kit car, but haven't fitted it. What do you use to stop the ends from unravelling? I'm guesing stainless wire would be good, but where can I get some?

Alan C

Reply to
alan.cutler

The local sheetmetal fabrication shop - there will be several hundred metres of it inside their MIG. :-) ....I'm serious - it's what I use.

Reply to
EMB

Either that or hose clips if you search on the Agriemach site they have the long clips as well or there are a few suppliers on Flea bay who don't sting for postage . if you fold the ends over before clamping they shouldn't fray. Derek

Reply to
Derek