exhaust woes

So i wasted my Saturday evening trying to get rear lights working that aren't even fitted, then flatten the battery and fianlly to really make my weekend, got out of Disco in pub carpark to be greeted by all my mates pointing and laughing at the silencer....that was now sat on the floor.

ATS wanted £82 for the bit from the middle box undereneath to the outside world. Great me thinks, order me one up then. Went back today to have it fitted, to be greeted with:

"What Land Rover exhaust bits"

A quick look round the workshop revealed a pile of shiney new exhaust bits, but none that looked remotely like mine. Matey puts Disco on ramp and gets underneath. Much sucking of teeth follows. Turns out they have ordered the wrong bit. Upon closer inspection and more teeth sucking, i am informed that '....have to order the middle box as well as it looks rusty amd may fall apart when i start taking the old pipe off'. Back into office and they quote me £201 for a tail pipe and middle box. Promptly walked out and said i'll think about it.

Paddock want £62 for what i think is the right bit, Part number NTC7246. Is this the bit i want?. Disco is an M reg 3.9Efi V8. Failing that it's out with the welder!!.

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

I had the same problem a few months ago with my 1992 2.5 Tdi Disco when the tail pipe and back box fell off (also in a public car park). I'm no engineer, but the lack of any support to the pipe at that point would seem to be an obvious design fault.

As the car is worth less than the cost of a new exhaust (or probably even a part-exhaust), I got a piece of snugly-fitting mild steel and pushed as much as I could into the pipe forward of the break. As I didn't want to reduce the efficiency of the back box too much I only left 60 mm or so of the tube to feed into that box.

I then welded as heavily as I could around the break and onto the new inner steel sleeve.

It seems to have done the trick. There's no noticable loss of performance or increased noise and the tailpipe still seems firm enough.

- Tom Bennett

Reply to
Thos

Try

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Seconded.

Reply to
PDannyD

NTC7426 is for CAT systems, ESR2917 Non CAT.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd