Exhaust wrap

Hello All. Has anyone used the Exhaust wrap kit from Agriemach on a V8 and how well it works

Reply to
John Oakes

John, save your money mate. It will make absolutely no noticeable difference on a normal road engine being driven within the limits of normal uk traffic. Only benefit is with extractor exhaust systems on performance racing-type engines (and maybe some turbo applications), and even then only a couple of bhp (maybe 2% increase) measured on a dyno! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

John Hi,

I will agree with Badger on absolutely no noticeable difference regarding any power gains BUT it does make a lot of difference as far as underbonnet and footwell temperature levels are concerned.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Reply to
John Oakes

John Hi,

Has anyone any proper numbers on that ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Steve Hi,

I am sorry I can not provide any before and after measurements but I can only say that before wrapping the downpipe (from the turbocharger to the straight side of the exhaust) on my 200Tdi Disco I could not touch the metal when the engine was operating in the normal temperature range. After wrapping it with this material (Thermotec) it is possible to touch it for a few seconds before I start feeling uneasy.

Fellow members of the LR club of Greece that I have persuaded them to wrap their exhaust headers and downpipes down to and including the Y pipe have come back to me not angry but thankfull for at last being able to drive without cooking their legs inside their Defenders.

Another friend who has wrapped the headers, downpipes and Y pipe on his 4.6 engined Discovery series 1 (converted to V8 4.6 from a plain 2.0 Mpi) is absolutely thrilled with the temperature reduction inside his engine bay.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

I sell shed loads of the stuff to the circuit racing and kit car world.....

To be honest I think you will struggle to get any real power benefits from using the product itself. What you get is greatly reduced under bonnet temps which I suppose gives you the edge to push the engine harder thus getting more out of it..... a tenuous link to more power from exhaust wrap but the only way I can really see it happening.

How much is the Agriemech kit and what exactly do you get?? I sell a 5m roll of 50mm wide wrap for £20 and can supply lovely stainless steel cable ties to secure it for £1 each ( which is why I use lockwire!! )

As I said I sell rolls and rolls of the stuff so there is a lot of people out there who feel they can justify the cost but as I also said I think this is a heat issue not a power issue most of them are addressing with the use of it..... The war on heat plays quite big part in motorsport have a look at the heat page of

to see the other products I sell than help address heat issues

David LLAMA 4x4

David_LLAMA4x4

Hi Pantelis, Thanks for the info. Untouchable, without leaving skin is usually more than 75 deg.

60 -65 degrees-ish - so well worth the investment - Things will be tight in the 101's engine bay, and you will be sitting NEXT to the turbocharger.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Not on a landrover, but..

theres a guy here :

who i think is about to try some wrap on a saab 900 turbo (to try and reduce the temperature under the bonnet). He has done some nice before measurements, so it will be good to see the proper after ones when he gets it done!

If it makes a decent difference then it looks like it could be worth considering on a 101.

Reply to
Tom Woods