expedition 101 prepared in 1979

Hi

In 1979 I was doing trade training at SEME Bordon and I helped to prepare a 101 for an expedition, but cant remember any other details

It's along shot I know but does anybody on here know anything about it

Mike

Reply to
sluff

Are you sure it was 1979?

The only expedition that I can think of (well, of this nature) was the British Joint Services Expedition to cross the Sahara from West to East, unaided. They set off on 15th Jan 1975, led by Tom Sheppard.

Reply to
Mother

Well, I don't know off hand, but I have a fair few odd records (I'm the Membership Secretary for the 101 Forward Control Club and Register) so could try to look it up.

If you could let me have any other details, such as any particular specification, equipment, modifications (you may feel this is best done via email) I'd be very grateful and can pass it on to the club historian and a few of our fanatical archivists.

It may even be possible to reunite you with the vehicle. I've managed to do this for a few other ex-forces chaps over the years.

Ah, that would be the institute for interpersonal learning of fluid dynamics then? :-)

Reply to
Mother

I found it on a search for bedford RL. steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

There's also a very good documentary of the crossing called: "The widest beach in the world" - I have a copy, by the way :-)

Reply to
Mother

The link doesn't work for me

Mike

Reply to
sluff

sluff tried to scribble ...

After searching 'Nat Geog' .. there is no direct link you have to order the report .. ;)

This post may nopw get a little wierd as I've cut 'n pasted a bit ..

" Expedition Profile from RGS-IBG Expeditions Database

Expedition : JOINT SERVICES WEST EAST SAHARA EXPEDITION 1975 Country : Chad, Egypt, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sudan, Organisation : JOINT SERVICES Contact name : T.H. Sheppard Website : email : Members : 8 Year : 1975 Start : 25/01/75 End : 03/05/75 Status : Returned Location : Sahara desert Summary : Completed first crossing of the Sahara from the Atlantic to the Red Sea through the Mauritanian 'Empty Quarter' with 4 Land Rovers. Produced a very comprehensive account of desert travel. Carried out a gravity measurement traverse along the whole route. Made rock, lizard and snail collections. Used new methods of desert navigation. -- Digweed

Reply to
Digweed .. ;)

about half way down the page Expeditions by Tom Sheppard , I downloaded itsteve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

In article , Digweed .. ;) writes

Love the 'status' bit, I wonder what the other options are?

Reply to
John Halliwell

While not specifically about his expedition, Tom Sheppard also wrote the RGS's "Desert Expeditions" guide:

which is an interesting read.

Reply to
QrizB

A little less exciting than you hoped, I'm afraid. The options are:

- Planned

- Ongoing

- Returned

Reply to
QrizB

Is there a picture .......what colour is it ?

Reply to
sluff

This won't be the one you worked on - it is one of the 4 of the previously mentioned Tom Sheppard expedition vehicles.

I'm more interested in the Vampite they also have for sale, hmm, no, don't go there...

Reply to
Mother

Twas Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:45:08 +0100 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

Vampire... have they told the public what they used to do? bugger it, radio direction finding vehicles, much modification in cluding compressor (for masts), darkened glass a-la-ambi, etc.. rather fancy one myself... Am I breaching the OSA? I've speant the last 7 hours peering at HTM-bloody-L so I don't care.. and I'm out of tea bags...

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mr.niceATsofthome.nethttp://community.webshots.com/user/mrnice106___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Nah, the secrets been out since they were built I'd guess Anything which carrys a mile of wire and multiple antenna is realy either for use in tracking signals or a hard core Caravaner who must have a good TV image in the valleys. :-)

You only breach the OSA if someone says "Shhhhh...can you keep a secret...." and your also subject to OSA. Otherwise how are we supposed to distingish the secrets from the deliberate disinformation ;-)

Lee D

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

No, no, no... You simply do not breach the OSA ;-)

Neither do you need to sign anything...

I wonder if they still give the same speech / warning / secret sign as they used to. The speech was to make you aware of the significance of the Act. The warning was to ensure you were fully compliant, and the secret sign was...

[BLIP]
Reply to
Mother

If you think the OSA is interesting, you should try PV (positive vetting). It was some years ago, but a nice man in a grey suit came and interviewed me. And then my best friend. And my girlfried. And her boss....

And then they decided not to send me to Aldermaston after all (and not because my girlfriend's boss had a Marxist grandmother).

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs