Extending fuel tank vent hose

All,

There is a small (in diameter) vent hose to the fuel tank on my TD5 defender, under the left wheel arch. I guess this is to let air in when fuel is used. I'm currently working on extending all the breathers and I guess that one needs to be extended too.

Anybody knows what the little canister in line with the hose at the top is? Is that a filter or a one-way valve (to prevent fuel to escape?), or anything else? Does it need to be vertical as it is now?

Cheers,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

RAVE describes the hose as a breather and from the picture the 'canister' looks like a spring-loaded non-return valve. It's not described.

If it is spring-loaded, the installation orientation should not be an issue (but see below). To check, shake the 'canister' - it should not rattle and you should feel spring resistance when poking into the outlet (atmospheric) port. If it's moulded to the hoses you might not be able to poke it but suck/blow on the outlet port should give you an idea of how it works.

I don't know if these are spring-loaded or not:

is the suggestion that with a steel ball orientation may not be entirely free.

Reply to
Dougal