F.S. Archive Video of 1988 40th Anniversary Series 1 club event

Archive Video of 1988 40th Anniversary Series 1 club event in Mid Wales

In 1988 the Series One club gathered in Mid Wales to re-enact the 1948 Autocar magazine on and off road test of the Series One. Our trainee crew at the time put together a 90 minute video covering the whole event. It's an amateur film shot on early Video 8, so don't expect a BBC level of production! It is though, a highly enjoyable recording for Series One fans and those who like Land Rover history in general.

The event was attended by some 200 Series Ones, some arrived straight off the farm and others in perfect mollycoddled condition, plus the original 1969 production Range Rover. Land Rover also turned up with a brand new E reg. 90. There's a bit where a 1950 S1 SW follows the new 90 along a river bed and up a bank showing how the old timer can still perform.

The actual Series One that did the 1948 Autocar test returned to drive the same Mid Wales roads, tracks and bogs, looking as fresh as she did on that same day 40 years earlier!

No commentary but excellent live sound including conversations, a windswept interview with the original farmer whose land provided one of the test grounds and the final prize giving ceremony, where the stage was a galvanised S1 chassis.

It's available in PAL VHS only. 90minutes long. 12.95 UKP including VAT and postage to anywhere in the World.

Cheques and PO to Moving Vision. We can also accept Visa, Mastercard, switch and Solo.

Call, fax, email or write to

Reply to
Moving Vision

Well done, and good luck. I much prefer the 'no commentary' type productions. The only exception to this being the 'Land Rovers Across Britain' production from British Car Films - which has excellent 'Chumbly Waller' type commentary. Actually, it's just 'excellent' full stop :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

In article , Mother writes

Thanks Martyn

I don't expect to break any box office records with this but it's been lying around here for so long that I thought it should be available to the hard core Land Rover aficionados!. At 90 minutes long and only having three VHS VCR's to copy to, any unexpected surge of interest will be a challenge!

Reply to
Moving Vision

On or around 9/10/03 4:48 pm, Moving Vision using , in article ID lki2ZFMSNYh$ snipped-for-privacy@movingvision.demon.co.uk, scribbled:

Why not release it on DVD as well - almost as simple as your method of copying to VHS these days! :-) What is the production mastered onto?

Reply to
Llandrovers

Well if you do ever fancy promoting it, remember that I'm doing the 'field cinema' stuff for next years show season. I'd be happy to add your film to the billing (if you'll excuse the dreadful pun) :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

In article , Mother writes

Martyn

You'd be very welcome to have it at the show. I doubt it would display well on anything bigger than a large TV since the edit master is only VHS resolution.

It was shot on what was then called a professional Video 8 camcorder (seemed like the bees knees at the time!) Edited onto a Video 8 Edit VCR. (Two machine edit, fine cut only). I've made a second master onto the DVCAM format. The financial viability issue is all about economies of scale. If I have 100 VHS copies made in one go the unit cost with sleeve and label is quite low but without some serious marketing I doubt I'll sell that many? Of course I could put adds in all the Land Rover Mags but are there enough peeps who'd want it to justify the cost? The idea to make DVD's has the same problem. Burning them one at a time is not an efficient option for us. Only pressed DVD's are suitable for general distribution and I'd need to make a 1,000 of them to be cost effective. The 270 line resolution of the programme hardly justifies DVD anyway. The film is more likely to appeal to the Land Rover purist rather than as highly a packaged W.H.Smiths/Halfords 'product'.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I'm open to suggestions and distribution ideas. It's hard to say if this film has any sales viability, maybe I'll be surprised, sell loads and have to manufacture copies on a commercial scale. I won't hold my breath!

John Lubran

Moving Vision Newbridge-on-Wye Powys LD1 6LH UK

Tel. +44 (0) 1597 860 575 Fax. +44 (0) 1597 860 655

Moving Vision