Faulty Brake Servo - Series III

mid 70s series III. Failed MOT for 'Servo Hard and Leaking Air'. Am always on the look out for an easy fix - could it be something simple?

If it can't be fixed then natural alternative is a replacement servo. Beamends has Britpart STC1816 'Brake Servo - All Series Inc. Stage I V8', but elsewhere people are talking about different threads sizes and dual v single brake lines. If I'm just replacing the servo is it really a case of one part fits all irrespective of master cylinder?

Many thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Yes.

Check the hose between the inlet manifold and the servo itself (the big round thing). It may be perished or damaged close to one end. You may be able to shorten it if there's spare length. If perished you can easily replace.

The fitting into the inlet manifold is unlikely to be damaged but do a quick visual check. If in doubt spread a little oil on the outside when the engine is running and see if it disappears - if yes, you've a leak.

The fitting (non return valve) into the servo itself has a rubber seal which can fail. I think that you can buy the fitting plus seal (AEU1046) but not the seal alone. Again oil on the outside can be used to check for a leak.

Be prepared for leaks in all three places!

Beamends, bless him, will be telling the truth - that you can buy the servo alone without also taking the master cylinder. Any mention of thread sizes, single/dual suggests that you are being offered the master cylinder/servo pair at a greater cost, too.

As far as I can see the servo itself is a common part used with all the master cylinder variants i.e. STC1816 (replacing AEU1043 and 569338).

Just be a little wary - there's the possibility that the servo has been a retrofit if your mid-70s is accurate. I think that it came along later as standard. If the available standard Land Rover bits were used to add it, as is most likely, you won't have any problems.

Don't rely on my part numbers - check them elsewhere!

Reply to
Dougal

The same servo fits both the single or the dual system master cyl as you are told but is that atrocious throttle valve building any vacuum up in the first place? Can you build up any vacuum then stop the engine and hear anything leaking near the servo or associated parts?

Reply to
Oily

There are fewer types of brake servos than you think!

Speaking as a man with a saab 900 brake servo fitted onto a 101!. only difference was the 4 mounting bolt locations which could be adapted.

Reply to
Tom Woods