FC 101

I've been offered a FC 101 for the princely sum of USD$10,000 and like to here from any FC 101 owners on their experiences prior to setting off on what is sure to be a life altering experience, maybe mind altering as well.

-- Jeffrey S Austin Chesapeake VA

Reply to
Jeffrey S Austin

I was going to recommend that you visit

but it appears to be down at the moment. The owner of the site (Martyn Bailey) and most of the other 101 owners who frequent this group are off on a camping jaunt at the moment but should be back later on today or tomorrow.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

It's working just fine from my end of the world at the moment.

Reply to
EMB

It's DNS entries that are failing for it at the moment, other sites (including ones I've not been to before) are working fine, I've not tried anyone else's DNS servers yet as I'm off for a lane clearance (as in green lane, not a polite way of saying "having a dump") in a bit.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

'Tis not working in Australia :)

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Jeffrey S Austin uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Just depends on your side of the pond on what you are willing to spend ultimately.

I can't speak much for any thing other than an Ambi model from experience.

You'll do well to check the rear cross member for corrosion. On GS's they ret just behind the doors on the b Pillar area I'm led to beleive. Also check the swivels on the front axle are sound and the swivels are art of the axle on a 101 and not detachable. Front props rumble on all but check UJ's as they take some hammering.

As for the rest of the experience be sure your credit rating is good. If you do get one check on any historic value before doing anything just like I didn't...

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In message , Lee_D writes

They're potentially too hot ... or cold, wet, leaky, noisy or very noisy, thirsty in the extreme but bloody good fun ...

Just watch out for the rot and the bits that are specific to 101 - engine and g/box is easy, body can be welded up, axles are more difficult.

Reply to
AJG

Tis the risk of giving oneself a 'freebie' at work and not putting it in the main database. When DNS servers move, they rely on, erm, the main database... :-(

Reply to
Mother

Well, it's a moot point now. Someone else grabbed it. Not sure were I would have put it anyway. Two car garage and we have two Disco 1's one XR4Ti and my daughters Jeep.

Reply to
Jeffrey S Austin

Jeffrey S Austin wrote: > Two car garage and we have two Disco 1's one

Crush the jeep.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

On or around Mon, 24 Apr 2006 14:09:59 +0000, Jeffrey S Austin enlightened us thusly:

what's an XR4Ti in your neck of the woods?

I have what is mechanically an XR4x4i but it's not called that 'cos it's an estate body.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Looks like it's much the same as our old lurvleys.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Merkur.

We got it in '88 and my Disco in '97 while station in Germany. [I'm ex-Army, I'm now a firefighter.] Should have ordered it with the 300 TDi instead of the petrol. Haven't had really any problems with it other than the usual at 170,000 miles.

The XR4Ti is Fire Engine Red but no flashing lamps or hoses attached.

Reply to
Jeffrey S Austin

'the usual at 170,000 miles'- Hmm, I wonder what 'the usual' might be... the mind boggles...

loose liners worn-out cam & followers dropped valve seats etc. etc.

Reply to
Natalie Drest