Few Disco questions!

675 miles after picking the Disco up, I'm back home! On the way I have come across a few issues, and lacking a manual I could do with some help...

Alarm - is there any way of locking the car without setting the alarm. It is a 96 model spec with a 2-button fob. If I lock the door with the key it flashes the indicators and sets the alarm - tho weirdly if I unlock the car with the key (after locking it with the key only) it does not unset the alarm and the bloody thing goes off! I need to be able to lock it without setting the alarm for the ferry trips - any ideas?

Auto-dim rear-view mirror - I suspect it isn't working as I couldn't get it to do anything, but what is the button on the bottom supposed to do? and is 'in' or 'out' the normal position? How easy to remove & replace?

Correct tyre pressures - I know this has been covered before, but my news server kills messages far too quickly. What is recommended by LR, and/or on AFL? - as I recall most people tend to go higher than the LR spec.

Aside from a nasty wheel-balance wobbly at 70-ish (the P38 did exactly the same until I changed the tyres) I haven't come across any issues that I can fault it on, bodywork a lot better than expected and handling is great - perhaps because it has just had new gas-shocks all round? I'm really impressed with the auto box, I was expecting to hate it (I only bought an auto so the OH would be able to drive it too) but I wouldn't hesitate to get another auto now.

Richard - The LHD headlights turned up (I think? - do you use Target?) on Thursday but no-one was around when the courier came, but I believe they have been re-delivered today. Too late for me to bring back unfortunately because of the B/Hols - my own fault, should not have messed about and ordered earlier!

Anyway, cheers for any help on the above,

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

I lonk with the car with the key and it does turn on the alarm but not the inside sensor. That way it allows me to leave the dogs inside and not have the alarm go off. I am sure the same will apply to you. However if the doors are opened without truning off the alarm with the fob it will sing nicely. By the way it will do the same if you disconnect the battery unless u disarm the alarm. This I blame my hearing difficulty on.

I put 30 psi in the front and 36 in the rear. I dont know if this is correct but it works for me

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Hogan

My DII mirror has two sensors, one on the rear looking out through with windscreen to detect ambient light level and another in the mirror face to detect the light from lights behind. You should be able to make it darken by covering up the ambient sensor and shining a light at the mirror one. You might need to have the vehicle lights on as well.

Mine works very well, no more position shifting to prevent glare from behind. Manual mechanical dipping I don't like, mainly 'cause I forget to undip it and the chnaces are the dip/undip will also end up with the mirror misadjusted.

Donno no button on mine.

I'd like to know as well, as mine has the built in compass (quite handy at times) thus the display might be able to do external temp as well if fitted with the sensor. Available as a spare from across the pond for a few tens of dollars.

DII again but I go for about 30 front and rears as spec 38?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I noticed that it should be able to display external temp. Do you have a link that tells me what I would need to do to get it to work?

Pete

Reply to
Peter Harrison

From the Handbook ... "Locking the vehicle with the key instead of the handset restricts security protection to the perimeter alarm and engine immobilisation only. Ultrasonic space protection will not be activated! WARNING: The handset MUST be used to unlock the vehicle. Unlocking with the key does not disarm the alarm or re-mobilise the vehicle.

Again, from the Handbook ... The interior mirror is equipped with an automatic dimming function which operates when the 'auto' button on the base of the mirror is pushed and the starter switch is turned on. A green indicator to the right of the button confirms the mirror is powered. When powered the mirror will reduce glare from following vehicles at night. Press the 'auto' button again and the mirror assumes its normal reflective state. NOTE; when reverse gear is selected, the mirror automatically reverts to its most reflective state ...

From Handbook ... 205 R16 radials ... Front 1.9bar (28 lbf/in2) Rear 2.6bar (38 lbf/in2)

235/70 R16 radial ... Front 1.8bar (26 lbf/in2) Rear 2.3 bar (34 lbf/in2)

I use 10.5 x 31 BFG AT's at 38 all round normal driving, F38, R42 when towing or loaded. Never had a problem with the BFG AT's even when leaving off-roading and forgetting to pump up again, wonderful tyre ... we'll be getting MT's next time as we've stopped towing so much now. They've done

28,000 miles so far, roughly 30% towing a caravan and fully loaded, 40% off-road and we reckon they'll do the same again ... but want MT's anyway .. ;)

Something we've toyed with. We run a manual 3 door 300Tdi for everything. We're seriously considering a 5 door Auto purely for on-road use and towing, and keeping 'my' Disco for off-road and travel to off-road sites, and wondered what the Auto boxes were like.

Reply to
Paul-xxx mobile

No, it's only a theory. Not wishing to break a working mirror I haven't investigated beyond finding that the sensor was available as a spare. Unfortunately the place I found in the US no longer appears to have it. Try looking on

I don't know if the Land Rover mirror has the required electronics, it would need at least a switch to togle temp/compass display. Failing that dig about with google find the mirror maker and follow leads (sic) from there.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hi Matt, My son is a Landrover technician. Front tyres 28 and rear 36 is what they use. The only way you can disarm the alarm with the key is to use the security number if you know it. Turning the key so many times in each direction in the barrel for each number of the 4 digit code. Otherwise it will not unset.

I once had a nasty wheel balance on a Frontera which turned out to be the tyres delaminating inside. New tyres cured it.

Bryan.

Reply to
b.baskerville

Thanks for the replies. No green LED on the mirror whatever I do, so I assume no power / dead. I'll check the fuses later, but I would imagine other things would not work too if a fused had gone.

Tyre pressures were about 42 on the rear and 38 on the front so I've lowered them all round a bit.

As long as the interior sensors are not operational when locked with the key that's fine - in a force 8 / 9 the cars are usually as sick as their owners!! Last time it was that rough there were 4 totally dead ones just around me.

Had a good look underneath earlier, seems to be a bit of an oil leak from the transfer box. Lots of drips of (new looking) oil on the ends of a load of bolts and it kind of look like it is spraying around under there rather then seeping from somewhere - any ideas? I've stuck a clean board underneath and will see how much oil appears on it in the morning. How to I check the oil level in the transfer box, and what sort of oil is best for it?

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

I would certainly recommend it. I did however deliberately go for an after June 95 model (on the ES version it comes at the same time they fitted electric seats so east to spot) because apparently they mapped the engine slightly differently on the auto models to work better with the auto box. I can't say if it makes much difference because I haven't driven the slightly older auto to compare.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

On or around Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:54:01 +0200, Matthew Maddock enlightened us thusly:

later TDi autos are EDC rather than the mechanical pump, and yes, the output is tweaked a bit.

As to the box, the ZF 4-speed is a fine thing, IMHO; let down only by the small "A" clutch which can fail at highish mileage.

There's a caveat about running it for long periods in neutral - if you intend idling it for a long time I believe it's wise to put the T-box in neutral and the main box in gear. Badger will no doubt be able to confirm that.

Not forgetting of course to put the main box back into N to shift the T-box back into gear...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:05:37 +0200, Matthew Maddock enlightened us thusly:

T-box runs on SAE 80W90 or suchlike, decent quality gear oil. Oil leaks when running generally produce that spray effect...

and there's a filler/level plug on it somewhere, and a drain plug at the bottom. change every 24K miles on the schedule but they often get overlooked. Possible oil leak location is the front output flange seal.

Reply to
Austin Shackles