Fire Extinguisher

Picked up a good condition 2kg foam extinguisher today, just trying to figure out where to fit it.

My Disco is a pretty standard 5 door 7 seater, and I'd like not to impinge into either the passenger space or the load space much.

Options I can see are:

1) Mounted in the void under one of the front seats - probably the passenger seat with the actuator handle towards the front of the car. The downsides with this include things like the potential for the extinguisher to be damaged/set off by a fidgeting passenger - non ideal really.

2) Mounted on the upper surface of the tailgate with the extinguisher lined up in the area blacked out by the spare wheel - I was thinking about using Acme screws into the door body to hold the bracket along with velcro straps around the body of the extinguisher itself to avoid having it launch off its mounts in a shunt/launching the car and landing hard.

3) Mounted on the panel on the roof slope where the map pockets are. This has the downside of providing a large, metal obstruction for rear seat passengers to headbutt.

I'm leaning towards 2) but would like any opinions on why this is a dumb idea.

If I go for that then I'm planning on mounting a 2D maglite to one side of the extinguisher.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Twas Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:56:51 +0100 when "Paul S. Brown" put finger to keyboard producing:

On my 110 I have one extinguisher in the passenger footwell on the seat-box and one inside the back door.

If you fear a fidgety passenger then perhaps a simple wooden cover will keep their fingers off.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

In my series 3 I have it on the bulkhead in front of the gearshift on the opposite side to the VIN plate

I am going to put another one in the back as well, cos when I am using that area for camping I am not going to be able to reach the front.

Reply to
Larry

OK - I've done this now.

I'm using a friction lock belt to stop it escaping, but other than that it's pretty much as described. Doesn't impinge into the load area at all, or inconvenience any passengers in the jump seats.

I've also got a 2D maglite mounted on the flat bit beside the lock release - I'll probably have to remount that as I could only find one clip the right size and if the shops around here are anything to go by the Maglite is dying as a concept - they are all carrying the 2D, Mini and Solitaire and nothing else - no bulbs, no clips - no nothing.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Make sure it is VERY firmly fastened down, in the event of a hard frontal colision, if will kill anyone it hits if it breaks loose.

Personally I would say mount it somewhere else. I picked up a car once, that had a bass box in the boot, fastened to the boot floor. It had been in a crash, and the box had come through the back seat, ripping it from its mounts, and had gone into the back of the front seats. I imagine it weighed about the same as a fire extinguisher.

Maglights are dying a death now all the LED lamps have come out.

Reply to
SimonJ

It is very firmly fastened - the bracket's bolted through the inner skin of the door and the extinguisher is lashed into the bracket with a cargo strap that I can hang my not inconsiderable weight from - for a 2KG extinguisher to exert as much strain on it as I can it would need to be a 60G deceleration - I'm unlikely to care much at that point as I'm not proof to

60Gs.

I did actually have much the same thoughts as you were having which is why it's a bit better lashed in than It would have been.

It's really in the only vaguely useful place I could find - I carry a lot of very large passengers (averages between 6'3" and 6'8") and anywhere else I put it would have lost me a passenger which isn't really an option.

As for Maglites dying due to LED lamps - I'll stop using the Mag when the LED lamps have a beam half as good as the one from the Mag - not likely any time soon I think.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

And try defending yourself against a mugger with an LED head-torch. My 4-cell Maglite is a very comforting companion on a dark night....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

You can get a fantastic swing with a 6-D. I love mine to bits, and that and the 4-D have lasted longer than any other torch I've ever had. The 4-D even survived someone using it to smash the windows and puting dents into my 101.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Twas Sun, 24 Oct 2004 20:23:20 +0100 when "Larry" put finger to keyboard producing:

I have one in the back as I have a gas stove mounted in the back, and a sturdy dog-guard between the front and back.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:58:09 +0100 when Tim Hobbs put finger to keyboard producing:

I used to carry a 4d maglite whilst doing security work for just that reason, used it twice to good effect.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

These are pretty good