First start for a brand new engine

Just about to start my rebuilt 4.6 Range Rover engine for the first time. I've put a brand new short motor in. Any tips on how I should go about starting it and running it in? I'd like to spin it over first without it starting to get oil circulated, the engine is dry and the cooler is empty (the sump is full of course, all bearings were assembled with lots of oil, and the followers were soaked in oil for 24 hours). I'm a bit unsure how to do this as the engine has an ECU. Can I disconnect the coil pack, remove plugs and spin away untill the oil light goes out without causing the ECU to log faults?

Alan C

Reply to
alan.cutler

I am not speaking from experience here so take it as such, but can you not drive the oil pump with a drill to get it circulating before starting up.

Failing which I am sure the oil will not take too long to get to where it needs to be.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

You did pack the pump with vaseline before assembly didn't you?

Cheers, Chrisall.

snipped-for-privacy@bbc.co.uk wrote:

Reply to
chris

No! This is the later crank driven type, there's no distributor so you can't spin it with a drill down the distributor hole, and you can't access the oil pump to pack it with vaseline as it is only accessible with the timing cover removed. I believe it's self priming, or at least I hope it is! I was going to disconnect the low tension connections to the coil pack, remove plugs and crank for a bit, hopefully untill the oil light goes out, but I'm wondering if this would make the engine ECU check engine light come on by logging faults? Would removing the connections from the injectors as well be usefull to stop petrol from being squirted about and not burnt? I can reset the check engine light though as I've got a OBD II code scanner which works with this car thankfully.

Alan C

Reply to
alan.cutler

Just pull the fuel pump fuse or relay instead.

Reply to
EMB

Why not disconnect the ECU? What it doesn't know it can't complain about? If the ECU is needed to enable cranking, power the starter solenoid via another means.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around 4 Jul 2006 02:18:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bbc.co.uk enlightened us thusly:

If I were you I'd just disconnect the injectors - no fuel, no running. The ECU will undoubtedly pick this up as a fault, but since you say you can clear that, then you should be OK.

the other way is just fire it up at idle, and watch the light like a hawk, if it doesn't go out in a few seconds shut it down and investigate. AFAIK the later pumps are self-priming as you say.

I've no doubt Badger will be along to advise in a minute.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Remove fuel pump fuse, spin on starter until oil light goes out, shouldn't take more than a few turns - the pickup of oil is pretty quick with the serpentine pump. Fit fuse, start engine and hold at 2000rpm for 20 minutes to "break-in" the camshaft lobes. (If auto, put transfer box in neutral and main box in "D", handbrake FIRMLY on, this prevents accelerated wear of the input shaft seals, the main cause of "A" clutch failure!) If you need to return to idle during the initial 20 min, don't let it sit there for any length of time as cam lobe wear will occur. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

From memory, insert a fuse into one of the empty slots under the drivers seat to put T box into neutral on a P38. Your handbook (or someone with a better memory than me) will tell you which one.

David

Reply to
rads

|| On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 16:39:14 +0100, "Badger" || wrote: ||| (If auto, put transfer box in neutral and main box in "D", ||| handbrake FIRMLY on, this prevents accelerated wear of the input ||| shaft seals, the main cause of "A" clutch failure! || || || From memory, insert a fuse into one of the empty slots under the || drivers seat to put T box into neutral on a P38. Your handbook (or || someone with a better memory than me) will tell you which one. || || || || David

Fuse 11? From (uncertain) memory.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Thanks for tip on the auto box, I forgot about doing this and you reminded me just in time! That saved 20 mins of unnecessary wear on the A clutch. I just cranked the engine and once started the oil light went out within 3 seconds, so there was nothing to worry about! The followers were a terrible racket, but slowly and surely they pumped up and went quiet. Just got to keep an eye out for leaks and check the levels etc, and run it in now. Any special techniques here?

Alan C

Reply to
alan.cutler

Am i missing summat here? It's a P38, how did you put it in D in the normal box & neutral in the TX box at the same time?

Unless mines different you cant do that can you? Either high or low range etc?

Nige

Reply to
Nige

|| snipped-for-privacy@bbc.co.uk wrote: |||| Remove fuel pump fuse, spin on starter until oil light goes out, |||| shouldn't take more than a few turns - the pickup of oil is pretty |||| quick with the serpentine pump. |||| Fit fuse, start engine and hold at 2000rpm for 20 minutes to |||| "break-in" the camshaft lobes. (If auto, put transfer box in |||| neutral and main box in "D", handbrake FIRMLY on, this prevents |||| accelerated wear of the input shaft seals, the main cause of "A" |||| clutch failure!) |||| If you need to return to idle during the initial 20 min, don't let |||| it sit there for any length of time as cam lobe wear will occur. |||| Badger. ||| ||| Thanks for tip on the auto box, I forgot about doing this and you ||| reminded me just in time! That saved 20 mins of unnecessary wear on ||| the A clutch. I just cranked the engine and once started the oil ||| light went out within 3 seconds, so there was nothing to worry ||| about! The followers were a terrible racket, but slowly and surely ||| they pumped up and went quiet. Just got to keep an eye out for ||| leaks and check the levels etc, and run it in now. Any special ||| techniques here? ||| ||| Alan C || || Am i missing summat here? It's a P38, how did you put it in D in the || normal box & neutral in the TX box at the same time? || || Unless mines different you cant do that can you? Either high or low || range etc? || || Nige

There's an empty fuse holder (it was fuse 11 on the Classic Rangie) and if you put a fuse in there it puts the tbox in neutral. It should be in your handbook under "important things to do if you ever have to be towed".

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Don't load it too much or rev it too high initially, just increase the load and rpm gradually over, say, 400 miles. I always dump the oil after the initial running period in the workshop, then the oil and filter after 2-300 miles. Don't sit at a constant rpm for any great length of time, this will promote bore glazing and prevent correct break-in of the rings, causing high oil consumption. BTW, 20 min at 2000rpm in P or N is just about guaranteed to fry the A clutch, not just unnecessary wear! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

box & neutral in the TX box

Nige, Under the drivers seat is a fuse panel, slot 11 is empty and unmarked. If you put a 5 amp of larger fuse in here then turn the ignition on, the dash will go beep beep and show Transfer Neutral. This is the only way you can tow the vehicle on all 4 wheels if required. Unless you want to unbolt the propshafts that is. By the way, if you do need to tow it on one axle only, you MUST have the propshaft removed on the axle that's still on the road or you'll destroy the viscous coupling. It'll actually try to climb out of the lift if the lifted axle is on a spectacle lift, which would be amusing to watch!

Alan C

Reply to
alan.cutler

I have no manual matey, cheers for that!

Nige

Reply to
Nige