Fitting a Ford 2.5Di to a 1984 SWB 90

Anybody on list done this mod? I'm told it works well apart from the Transit lump having less low down torque. I simply want better fuel economy and if possible more power then my 2 1/4 petrol slurper. I have heard 35 MPG mentioned for the Transit lump..... Any comments (Helpfull!) welcome as is a cheap kit to fit the LT77 box to the Transit 2.5 lump. Happy New Year!

Reply to
Paul Luggar

On or around Mon, 1 Jan 2007 20:30:52 -0000, "Paul Luggar" enlightened us thusly:

The transit will compare favourably with the 2¼ petrol or the 2.5 NAD which were the standard engines at the time. The Di tranny is quite torquey low down, although not quite up to LR TDi standards. If you get hold of a TDi transit you get more power and torque but you need the engine management system including the thottle unit with its potentiometers.

I get about 31 - 31.5 mpg from the transit turbo (non-intercooled), and that's a similar weight vehicle, although not 4WD.

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

I have had a few non turbo transits over the years including two I`m running at the moment and have never had more than 26mpg out of any of them and as low as 19mpg in a curtainsider.And as any transit driver will tell you they always run out of guts when you meet a small hill especially when overtaking an artic.Get to the front of the artic,put on your red face and slowly let it slip past you and go back in behind it until the road levels out. The engine I would fancy experimenting with would be the Iveco 108hp turbo out of the pre 2003 Daillies.It`s not a fly by wire engine so easy to swap about.I`m running one in a 35 flatback and it flies.23mpg never less 2250 kgs. Mark.

Reply to
mark

22-23 mpg on a slope front Di transit 190 rated at 35cwt UL ( well we are talking D reg 1986 )with a curtain side body 4 speed box with OD I have seen a Rangie fitted with same but it is a tall engine with the height of the pan type air filter the conversion needed a bulge in the bonnet

Derek

Reply to
Derek