Fitting new Radio/MP3 Player, help please?

Hi all, Managed to remove the original Philips Radio cassette, and removed the plugs from the back which were two speaker plugs marked front left and front right and a larger plug with a black wire, a white/red wire and a yellow. According to the diagram on the radio unit: Black - earth White/red - +12v Yellow - (picture of battery) 12v Question is are these correct cos they look very thin? I know I need to get an adaptor loom. The Defender is a 1993 110 CSW Cheers. Wolverine.

Reply to
Wolverine

looks right to me, and yea, they seemed thin to me too on all the vehicles I've messed with. the yellow is a permanant live by the way, for keeping your radio's memory settings for saved stations, clock, cd playlist, key code etc.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

And IIRC, that one was the big one, while the non-permanent one is indeed very thin. But so far, no fire ;-) so it must be alright.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

just in the process of putting a kenwood cd player into my series 3. there used to be a radio or something that sits on top of the rear-view mirror. but some goose had wired the old radio using speaker wire to supply the power. very thin indeed, and unfused. so i've run some new 20 amp (player is rated at 200w or something) wire straight from the battery (through a fuse of course).

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

That will certainly do the job - my high-powerwed Kenwood CD player has a 7.5A fuse in the main feed and a 2.5A in the switched feed and never seems to run into problems. I'm guessing the 200W output is some bizarre "peak output" measurement rather than a continuous RMS rating.

Reply to
EMB

The kenwood stereo i had in my landy has a 10amp fuse actually fitted in the back of the stereo.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yep, likewise. my kenwood has a 10 amp "cartridge" (is this the right name. you know those new style car fuses) fuse in the back. but always well advised to chuck a fuse at the start of the power supply wire, and the switch wire for that matter.

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

Yep, my Panasonic MP3/WMA/CD Player also has a 10Amp cartridge and I put an inline fuse on there too. It works fine, it was a bit too deep to fit in the centre of the vents, but I bought an aftermarket surround, ditched the LR one and managed to squeeze it in. Maximum recommended angle for the unit was

30 degrees but it must be about 45 degrees under the dash!

Wolverine Big Red 110CSW

Reply to
Wolverine