Fitting QT Rear Rock Slider - Disco II

In the spirit of Paul S Brown's posting on how to fit the QT Rear Rock Slider diff guard on a Disco I, here's how to do it on a Discovery II. Probably worth posting as it's slightly different than the QT instructions. Or it was on mine, at least.

It's one of the few LR jobs I've done which was actually easier than I expected. Sounds a lot easier than the Disco I version.

1) Jack up the vehicle from the axle, put an axle stand under one of the rear chassis rails. Drop the axle back down to the ground, which will give you a bit more room to work in. If you have SLS, the vehicle will obligingly level the rear so you will only need 1 axle stand, but best put another one in to be on the safe side (ie, if you put a screwdriver through one of the air springs).

2) Undo the top 2 bolts from the top of the diff casing at the front. Easiest to see if you slide your head in front of the axle (it's supported by the wheels so it's not going anywhere) and look backwards. Contrary to the instructions, you don't need to worry about the brake lines, as they're nowhere near (or they weren't on mine at least).

3) Fit the small bracket supplied by QT. There's only one way it can go. Tighten up the bolts again.

4) On the underside of the diff casing there's a hefty metal plate with a mass damper attached. It's held to the diff casing by 2 bolts. Undo these. The mass damper will fall off, but the wire will catch it.

5) This is the fiddly part. You need to screw the front of the diff guard in using the existing bolts which were holding the mass damper on (which are slightly longer than the ones QT supply). The mass damper plate will go between the diff guard and the diff casing. The hard part is balancing the diff guard and mass damper in one hand whilst you get the first bolt in, because they're bloody heavy. I used a jack. Get the bolts gripping but don't tighten.

6) Now bolt the top bracket you fitted earlier to the rear of the diff guard using the QT bolt supplied.

7) Tighten all bolts and step back to admire your handiwork.

Took me about 40 minutes, most of which was spent juggling the mass damper and the axle stand. I'm still impressed by the novelty of having a newish Rover where not all the bolts are seized solid.

David

Reply to
David French

Twas Sat, 17 Apr 2004 10:47:42 +0100 when "David French" put finger to keyboard producing:

What no photos!?!

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Reply to