Flat battery (my fault): Rechargers/Conditioners?

So it turns out that connecting all of the CD player's +12V inputs to a permanent live was not such a good idea...ran my battery flat within a week of having the 90 standing.

Is it worth buying a battery charger/conditioner and try and resurrect the battery myself or should I just get the job done by someone? Is the battery (a maintenance-free type) going to be ok after recharging or should I be looking for a new one? I haven't checked the voltage across it as I left in a hurry today so not sure *how* discharged it is, but the starter won't even turn, one can only hear a "clickety" noise so I think it's quite low. First time it's been abused, if it makes any difference, I don't recall it ever having been low before.

If it's worth buying a charger, any suggestions for a low budget one? I live in Greece mind, so some UK brands might not be available here.

Any input appreciated, unless it's only saying "damn, that was stupid" :-S Geo

Reply to
Geo

Dunno if you have Lidl there, but they have on special offer here today a SMPS one with a 3.6 amp output which is small enough to just about fit your pocket. Goes to maintenance mode after charging. The max output sounds low but in practice it's as fast as most reasonably priced chargers which lie about their output - and an overnight charge will start the vehicle from a flat battery, unless the battery is knackered. Costs only

13 gbp - about 1/3 of the normal price for this sort of thing. I bought one about a year ago when they were on offer then. And have bought 4 today as Xmas presents. ;-)
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bugger, looks ideal, but our Lidls have got completely different offers. And I cant' really wait hoping they'll bring the thing over here soon.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

If it's the first time you've flattened it, then just charge it up and be on your way - and don't do it again! If it's really buggered and won't respond to an overnight charge, then some of the "intelligent" chargers claim to be able to resurrect all but the worst cases. But from what you say, I reckon you'll be OK with a full overnight charge.

Reply to
Rich B

On or around Thu, 1 Nov 2007 17:15:20 -0000, "Rich B" enlightened us thusly:

If you've got a deader that won't accept charge, it's worth trying putting the charge on backwards (+ to -). It sometimes works.

Meanwhile, like he said, if it's just been run down, I'd just bung it on the normal charger.

Reply to
Austin Shackles