Flat old bag?

That got your attention!

A mystery with the rear air suspension on my Disco 2.

All fine driving home and parking last night, and nothing seemed amiss this morning, but 100 yards down the road, the ride was so choppy that I thought I'd set off in the S2a. I even got out to check for a puncture. The car seemed to be tilting to one side, and when I got to work the o/s/r suspension was down on the bumpstops, and the n/s front wing pointing to the sky.

I rasied the suspension to "extended" height and left it there while I was at work. It didn't deflate over several hours, and I then lowered it to normal height and drove home normally.

I suspect the fault happened between getting in the car and reaching the end of the lane - about 100 yards, as I didn't notice anything wrong when I got in. The only relevant thing I can think of is that it was a coldish night (-3C this morning) and when I got in I immediately put all the winter functions on (rear and windscreen heaters, heated seat etc - well, it's a new toy, innit?). That's a pretty hefty load, but I can't see why it should affect the suspension. I can't think of anything else that might have caused it at that moment.

The car is still under warranty, but from a non-LR dealer, so I'd like to have some idea of what is wrong before I take it in to them.

Any ideas? TIA.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

...and Richard Brookman spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Rude to answer your own posts, so sorry, but -

I assume that the fact it didn't leak over several hours in the company car park rules out a leak in the air-bag?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Could be a sticky valve venting to air?

Reply to
Nige

I reckon it's God punishing you for having such a nice motor..........

Dave

Reply to
edeowner

Probably.

As it appears to have been a one-off that is my thoughts.

The amber ACE light ("I'm not happy but you can still drive" rather than the red "STOP NOW!") came on one cold morning a few weeks back on my DII. Dropped the kids off, restarted, no light and it's been fine since. It's a DII it does that sort of thing...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

...and Dave Liquorice spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Any way to unsticky them? Looking at the manual, it looks like the air supply unit is mighty complex. If it was a squirt of WD40, then OK, but...

It may have been a one-off (time will tell) but it will nag me for ages that something isn't quite right. At no point did any warning lights come on, amber or red. The SLS fault light stayed off.

It was pretty weird, looking out of the window at work (at your car, like you do) and thinking it was just starting to cross a particularly sharp ridge, when in fact it was parked with the engine off.

I'll keep and eye on it for a few days, than try to forget it ever happened.

Thanks

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Quite, I was a bit nervous after the ACE light came on. I have a nasty feeling that a DII without ACE goes around corners like bricks float.

Still when it goes in for the next service I'll mention it and see what the computers have to say.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The fact that you left it at work in 'extended height mode' may mean that it then wouldn't leak.The bags have a habit of only leaking in one position, depending on on how they're folded in that height setting. Pete.

Reply to
pete_turier

Since it does not seem to be a problem with your air bags this is not quite relevant, but may be of interest anyway.

My friend with a D2 ES (just been flogged and replaced with a D3 HSE) had leaky bags and, then replaced them with some supposedly almost new ones, from a wreckeed vehicle, and they too leaked after a short while.

Being a avid mountain biker, he thought stuff this, and put some of that puncture fixing slime (not the not the tin of stuff used for inflating tires) into the aribags. He ran it for many miles/months therafter without any problems whatsoever.

Regards stephen

Reply to
fanie

I wouldn't rule that out - it's not unknown for the bags to only leak when fully extended. Jack the appropriate corner up to extend the bag and have a listen (the compressor may keep running too if a leak is not audible).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

It did - I thought you'd met my ex-mother in law!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Thu, 26 Jan 2006 08:29:10 +0200, fanie enlightened us thusly:

if the bags are leaky anyway, there's nothing to lose.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's natures way of telling you to go on a diet ;-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

...and pete snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Thanks for this. I actually left it in extended mode for the morning, then lowered it, went for a drive and left it for the afternoon in normal mode. (Left out of original post for brevity.) It didn't leak at all - and was still OK this morning after a night on the drive. Looks like the bags are OK.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

...and beamendsltd spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

I was thinking of mine when I posted! (Ex MIL, that is. Current one is 92 and brilliant company.)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

...and Lee_D spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Lee, that was uncalled for. Burgers at dawn.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Your on...I'll bring the mayo and Ketchup. :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:26:06 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

I reckon it was a height sensor throwing a wobbler. Or the brain got confused.

they should fit CTRL ALT and DEL buttons to the dash to reset it :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Bugger that - running MS Windoze in a vehicle would make the old Lucas electrics seem like the pinnacle of reliability.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Sat, 28 Jan 2006 01:52:26 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

you sure they don't? :-)

ISTR a pisstake about that, summat about a car breaking down and one of the occupants working for microsoft...

Reply to
Austin Shackles