Floor Support Crossmember / Beam 110 SW

Hi all

I am about to have a load of work done to my 110 for her MOT and could really do with some help!

The main difficulty I have is in identifying the Floor Support Beam / Crossmember thingy and getting a part number for it! I have therefore tow questions!

  1. What is the correct name for it? (It's the full width support under the middle row floor from sill to sill, which appears to bolt on, not the multiple ones under the rear floor)

  1. Can anyone help me with a part number for it?

  2. What other items will I need in order to fit it, in the way of rovets, bots, shims, rubbers or goodness knows what else?!?!

I have heard that it's possible to fit it without lifting the rear body too much, by cutting it into two/three parts, sliding in from sides, then welding together - is this true or am I being wound up here???

It would be a massive help if anyone could point me in the direction of a downloadable exploded diagram type thing for finding part names and numbers too - if such a thing exists in the public domain! I have decided to lavish some restorative expense on the old beast as a bit of a project and would like to be able to find the bits without ringing dealers/asking you lovely people every time!

In addition, I wonder if anyone could tell me the correct part number for the fuel tank I need. It's to replace the knackered and leaking one in my 110 TD Station Wagon from 1988, but I am having difficulty making sure I order the right one - as I seem to be with every part I seek!

One last thing...does anyone happen to have experience of these Brake Pipe Kits which can be bought these days? Are they any good and do the pipes come 'ready bent' so to speak?

Hope I don't sound like too much of a newbie/idiot, but I have been into Landies since living in one for a year back in the eighties and have acquired one once again - the love affair just won't go away!

Cheers all!

Chris

Reply to
goforgood

High there I can't help with part no's But if its the cross member i am thinking of, the original one will have rotted away and you will need to lift up the bodywork to get an original back in. Alternatives either cut it up weld it back in place or you can get a bolt-together sectionlised one in stainless steel from Joe Edwards of Leighton Buzzard (plug ) Cheers Split

Reply to
Splitpin

NRC4171 Body Crossmember - Front of Rear Floor - 110 Station Wagon - Defender £36.31 inc VAT

See above

That's the easiest approach - chop it in half, fit it, and weld it up.

Every single Defender part is on there (bar the ones I've missed!), and some of the descriptions even make sense.........well, I think so.

Ask away (by mail for prefence), it's what we're here for.

WFE000190 Fuel Tank - Single Vent - In-Tank Pump - 110 from AA203222 to WA159806/Range Rover Classic to GA £81.07 inc VAT

I'm not too sure what you mean there. If you buy ready made brake pipes they are generally shaped - the small ones always are, the bigger ones have a any little kinks etc put in but may need a bit of shaping to go round things.

Don't worry about it, *everyone* knew nothing at one time. It's all part of the fun, learning and that.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Wow - what a fast and helpful bunch you guys are!

That's solved it and now I know what I am looking for.

That's an interesting one about getting a bolt-together version - very clever thinking from the guy that makes them!

Much appreciated

Chris

Reply to
goforgood

Hello again all

I have today been mostly investigating 'how the heck to fit the darned floor support crossmember'...grr...grrr...scrath head etc etc ...climb under and have a long look/poke/scrape....etc etc ...another mug of tea....

You know the drill!

I am convinced there must be a way of doing this which is manageable, but am a little loathe to do the 'cut and shut' version of the job mentioned. Not sure why but it seems a shame to chop up a new part - call me old fashioned etc. etc.

If I am to fit this crossmember in one piece, what is the procedure for a) removing the old one and b) getting the new one in and bolted on? In not-very-skilled-or-experienced-mechanic terms.

As you can imagine, I am very frustrated by the apparent lack of forethought in the design of this assembly! I imagine that this has been an issue many, many times but after searching all over the web I seem unable to find definitive help. This is the only place I have hope for!

As you know, it LOOKS as if it should be an hour's work, but upon further investigation it clearly isn't!

In order to lift the floor enough to do the job, is it necessary to remove the roof etc and lift the entire body up???

Any help from someone who has done this job would be greatly appreciated as I am worried I am going to do a load of unnecessary stuff when I could have known a more straightforward method.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me in detail! I would love to just have the old girl back on the road before the summer ends :-(

If the chop-fit-weld method is the way then so be it of course! In that case how do I get the bolts in from the top? Is it still a case of lifteing the tub?

Chris Notts

110 CSW TD...made of rust

Reply to
goforgood